This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0062 / 51°0'22"N
Longitude: -2.1982 / 2°11'53"W
OS Eastings: 386188
OS Northings: 122993
OS Grid: ST861229
Mapcode National: GBR 1XH.WK5
Mapcode Global: FRA 668G.CD7
Entry Name: The Grosvenor Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 20 June 1952
Last Amended: 15 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102037
Location: Shaftesbury, Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Shaftesbury
Built-Up Area: Shaftesbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Shaftesbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1615 HIGH STREET
Nos 5 & 7
(The Grosvenor Arms Hotel)
ST 8622 2/54 20.6.52.
Rebuilt in early C19 by Earl Grosvenor; possibly parts of the older structure
remain. The title of the Inn was then changed from the "Red Lion" to its
present name. The centre part of the front is 3-storey, 3-window; the
ground floor of stone, the upper floors (which oversail) of stucco possibly
over timber framing. The overhang is supported on Tuscan columns. In
centre is an elliptically-arched yard entry, flanked by splayed bays.
These have sash windows and coved heads reaching to soffit of overhang.
The centre of this block projects slightly and has a sedimented gable.
Very-large windows to 1st floor, the side ones being sashes, the central
one a French casement. Cast-iron balcony in the centre. Flanking this
main block there are lower blocks, in recession, also 5 storeys, that on
the left hand comprising a single 3-storey bay oversailing at 1st floor.
Right hand extension of 2 bays. There is a further brick extension of
4 bays of later date to the right, with yard entry at right hand end.
The cobbled inn yard remains, having a good splayed bay to 1st floor on
the North side.
Nos 5 to 13 (odd) The Fruit Shop, Nos 17 and 19 form a group.
Listing NGR: ST8616023029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings