History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clifton Cottages and Stone Walls to East manor Barn Cottage and Stone Walls to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Wellswood, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4637 / 50°27'49"N

Longitude: -3.5153 / 3°30'55"W

OS Eastings: 292542

OS Northings: 63750

OS Grid: SX925637

Mapcode National: GBR QX.38D8

Mapcode Global: FRA 37JT.VNP

Entry Name: Clifton Cottages and Stone Walls to East manor Barn Cottage and Stone Walls to East

Listing Date: 10 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218053

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390734

Location: Torbay, TQ1

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Listing Text


TORQUAY

SX9263 OLD TORWOOD ROAD
885-1/18/199 (South side)
10/01/75 Manor Barn Cottage (No.1) Clifton
Cottages (No.2) and stone walls to
east

GV II

Barn, extended and altered as carriage house at one end, now
converted into cottages. Difficult to date from surviving
details but probably late C15 or C16 in origin; late C19
carriage house conversion, C20 conversion into cottages.
Painted stone rubble barn, rear wall rendered; slate gabled
roof; carriage house stone rubble with brick dressings; brick
stacks.
PLAN: A large rectangular barn with the remnants of a midstrey
porch and no evidence of opposed rear entrance. The
conversions have taken place within the old walls but with an
extension at the left (south) end.
EXTERIOR: Very altered. 2 storeys. 4:3 window front. The north
end of the barn preserves a massive central buttress with a
set-off; rear (west) elevation has 5 buttresses with set-offs.
The front of Manor Barn Cottage retains the remnants of the
midstrey: stone cheeks with a lean-to slate roof. Numerous
modern openings, including roof lights, in the barn roof. Nos
1 and 2 Clifton Cottages preserve the character of the
carriage house including the doorway, and has a higher-roofed
addition at the left end.
INTERIOR: Manor Barn Cottage inspected. No evidence of an
early roof seen on survey.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: tall stone rubble walls, probably coeval
with the barn, around the east side gardens.
HISTORY: Although very altered this represents a fragment of
pre-C19 Torquay. Torwood Grange was owned by Torre Abbey until
1540 when it was granted to John Ridgeway and Sir Thomas
Denys. The manor house was pulled down in 1843 by the Harvey
brothers when the site was developed with villas. Ellis
includes a reproduction of the Reverend John Swete's c1780
sketch of the barn and its relationship to the manor house,
p.263.
(Ellis AC: An Historical Survey of Torquay: 1930-:
PP.254-266).


Listing NGR: SX9254263750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


TORQUAY

SX9263 OLD TORWOOD ROAD
885-1/18/199 (South side)
10/01/75 Manor Barn Cottage (No.1) Clifton
Cottages (No.2) and stone walls to
east

GV II

Barn, extended and altered as carriage house at one end, now
converted into cottages. Difficult to date from surviving
details but probably late C15 or C16 in origin; late C19
carriage house conversion, C20 conversion into cottages.
Painted stone rubble barn, rear wall rendered; slate gabled
roof; carriage house stone rubble with brick dressings; brick
stacks.
PLAN: A large rectangular barn with the remnants of a midstrey
porch and no evidence of opposed rear entrance. The
conversions have taken place within the old walls but with an
extension at the left (south) end.
EXTERIOR: Very altered. 2 storeys. 4:3 window front. The north
end of the barn preserves a massive central buttress with a
set-off; rear (west) elevation has 5 buttresses with set-offs.
The front of Manor Barn Cottage retains the remnants of the
midstrey: stone cheeks with a lean-to slate roof. Numerous
modern openings, including roof lights, in the barn roof. Nos
1 and 2 Clifton Cottages preserve the character of the
carriage house including the doorway, and has a higher-roofed
addition at the left end.
INTERIOR: Manor Barn Cottage inspected. No evidence of an
early roof seen on survey.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: tall stone rubble walls, probably coeval
with the barn, around the east side gardens.
HISTORY: Although very altered this represents a fragment of
pre-C19 Torquay. Torwood Grange was owned by Torre Abbey until
1540 when it was granted to John Ridgeway and Sir Thomas
Denys. The manor house was pulled down in 1843 by the Harvey
brothers when the site was developed with villas. Ellis
includes a reproduction of the Reverend John Swete's c1780
sketch of the barn and its relationship to the manor house,
p.263.
(Ellis AC: An Historical Survey of Torquay: 1930-:
PP.254-266).


Listing NGR: SX9254263750

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.