This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4618 / 50°27'42"N
Longitude: -3.5256 / 3°31'32"W
OS Eastings: 291813
OS Northings: 63557
OS Grid: SX918635
Mapcode National: GBR QV.XCT0
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.Y25
Entry Name: Cary Estate Office
Listing Date: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390740
Location: Torbay, TQ2
Electoral Ward/Division: Tormohun
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9163 PALK STREET
885-1/17/202 (West side)
Cary Estate Office
Office of the Cary Estate. Probably 1859 when the building
became the Devon and Cornwall Bank (Ellis, p.276). Became the
Cary Estate Office in 1908. Rock-faced breccia, brought to
course; polished pink granite, terracotta and Ham Hill
dressings; slate roof, rounded at the north end with a fleche,
gabled to south; stacks with brick shafts with cornices.
Basically Italianate style with some Rococco detail.
PLAN: On a prominent corner site facing north up Fleet Street
with a rounded corner.
EXTERIOR: Tall and narrow. 3 storeys and attic 5-bay rounded
north end, 4 bays to each side. Bays divided by pilasters,
rusticated to ground and first floors, panelled to second
floor. Projecting cornice at first-floor level, platbands to
second floor and below dentil eaves cornice. Large
ground-floor windows with moulded architraves and rounded
upper corners, C20 glazing with glazing bars. Other windows
glazed with 2-pane sashes. First-floor windows with
swan-necked pediments and moulded architraves; second-floor
windows flanked by pilasters. Centre front bay has segmental
pediment over first-floor window and pedimented dormer above
eaves cornice. Flat-roofed single-storey bay to left of curved
end has pilasters flanking on 2-tier plate glass window. Large
round-headed doorway on east end in wider end bay with moulded
architrave and keystone, paired windows above. Rear end wall
stuccoed with first-floor access onto 3-bay single-storey
flat-roofed block at south end. This has a pretty 1830s
anthemia cast-iron balustrade.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but may retain features of interest.
The Cary family, along with the Palk family, were responsible
for the development of Torquay in the C19.
(Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition:
Listing NGR: SX9181363557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings