History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Amounderness House

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7603 / 53°45'37"N

Longitude: -2.6986 / 2°41'54"W

OS Eastings: 354039

OS Northings: 429556

OS Grid: SD540295

Mapcode National: GBR TB2.2N

Mapcode Global: WH85M.JR54

Plus Code: 9C5VQ862+4H

Entry Name: Amounderness House

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Last Amended: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218215

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392059

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Description


PRESTON

SD5429NW LANCASTER ROAD
941-1/10/174 (West side)
27/09/79 Amounderness House
(Formerly Listed as:
LANCASTER ROAD
(West side)
Junior Crown Court)

GV II

Police station and magistrates' court, now used as courtrooms.
1857, enlarged 1901. By J.H.Park. Sandstone ashlar (red brick
at rear), slate roofs. U-plan, formed by original block with
rear wing to Earl Street, and addition on south side also with
rear wing. Classical style. Two storeys (probably over
cellars), plus 3-stage tower to the addition. The original
range is a symmetrical 5-window composition, with a plinth,
channelled rusticated ground floor, rusticated quoins to 1st
floor, frieze inscribed "ERECTED BY THE CORPORATION A.D.1857
LAWRENCE SPENCER ESQUIRE MAYOR", prominent modillioned cornice
and balustraded parapet with ball finials. The centre has a
round-headed doorway with an architrave of coupled engaged
Tuscan columns and prominent cornice, above this a window with
pairs of panelled pilasters and consoles supporting a pediment
with lamb and flag, and a round-headed upstand in the parapet
with a shield. All the windows are sashed without glazing
bars, those at 1st floor paired under cornices on consoles.
The 2-window right-hand return is in matching style. The wing
continued to the rear is of heavily rusticated rock-faced
masonry, 5 windows, mostly round-headed and those at ground
floor barred, but the end bay has a square headed doorway and
window above both with cornices; and beyond this is a lower
2-storey 5-window cell-block with small semicircular windows
at ground floor and round-headed windows above, all with
grills. The 1901 addition fronting Lancaster Road is in
similar style, but longer, articulated 3:2:1:2 windows, the
square tower rising one stage higher, with a prominent cornice
and balustraded parapet, and openings at ground and 1st floors
framed by coupled blocked columns. INTERIOR not inspected.


Listing NGR: SD5403629564

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.