History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Covered Market

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7605 / 53°45'37"N

Longitude: -2.6995 / 2°41'58"W

OS Eastings: 353984

OS Northings: 429579

OS Grid: SD539295

Mapcode National: GBR T9X.S1

Mapcode Global: WH85M.HQRZ

Plus Code: 9C5VQ862+66

Entry Name: The Covered Market

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218479

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392091

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Description


PRESTON

SD5329NE MARKET STREET
941-1/9/203 (East side)
27/09/79 The Covered Market

GV II

Covered market. 1870-75, designed by Garlick, Park & Sykes;
constructed first by Joseph Clayton of Preston, then by
P.D.Bennett & Co of West Bromwich, and finally by Willam
Allsup. Cast-iron columns, wrought-iron girders and principals
with tension bars, hipped slate roof with red ridge tiles.
Rectangular plan on east-west axis. A tall open-sided
structure, following a downward slope from east to west, 13x3
bays. The columns have square pedestals with dog-toothed
panels, 3 marked "J.CLAYTON PRESTON" and 31 with "W.ALLSUP"
superimposed, clustered shafts with foliated caps, and large
open-work brackets carrying trellis girders with applied
ornamentation; attached at right-angles to the girders are
prominent curved open-work brackets to oversailing eaves. Roof
of close-set principals with wrought-iron tension bars.
History: collapsed while under construction, August 1870;
completion delayed by disputes between designer and
contractors, and by appeal to Sir William Fairbairn. Forms
group with Fish Market (q.v.) and Amounderness House (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD5398429579

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.