This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3508 / 50°21'2"N
Longitude: -3.5825 / 3°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 287508
OS Northings: 51296
OS Grid: SX875512
Mapcode National: GBR QS.R97N
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.L4Q
Entry Name: The Guildhall and Attached Boundary Wall to West
Listing Date: 23 October 1972
Last Amended: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387398
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 VICTORIA ROAD
673-1/8/281 (South side)
23/10/72 The Guildhall and attached boundary
wall to west
(Formerly Listed as:
Guildhall, now municipal offices, originally subscription
rooms and school. Dated 1849. Local limestone rubble with
Bathstone dressings; slate roof.
EXTERIOR: Restrained Tudor style. 2 storeys. Main block has
symmetrical 2:2:2-window front with an extra bay to left in
taller block; all stone 3-light mullion-and-transom windows,
now containing plate glass. Centre 2-window section breaks
forward slightly to contain large central Tudor-arch doorway,
with the date of 1849 carved onto a plaque directly above.
First-floor windows now converted to doorways with upper
lights retained as mullioned overlights, and secondary balcony
shelters main doorway below. Gable over. Balcony and steps
both sides have ornate cast-iron railings. String course at
first-floor level interrupted by 2 large weathered buttresses
each side. Main roof is gable-ended and steps up to a higher
level over left end bay. Front and end gables with shaped
kneelers and coping and 2 ventilators with small spires
projecting through the ridge of the main block. Right end
contains a first-floor 4-light window similar to those on the
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A tall stone boundary wall extends
westward from the right-hand end and includes a stone
This building is one of a good group of buildings dating from
the second quarter of the C19 lining New Road (now Victoria
Road), which was built in 1825 to enable, for the first time,
horse-drawn carriages in and out of town.
Listing NGR: SX8750851296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings