This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1033 / 54°6'12"N
Longitude: -3.2317 / 3°13'54"W
OS Eastings: 319556
OS Northings: 468196
OS Grid: SD195681
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWZ.4T
Mapcode Global: WH72P.B494
Entry Name: Devonshire Buildings island Road Mission the Devonshire Public House
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388534
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Barrow Island
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1968 MICHAELSON ROAD, Barrow Island
708-1/13/91 (East side)
06/05/76 Nos.1-9 (Consec) Devonshire
Buildings, Island Road Mission & The
Tenement block including mission and public house. 1872-74. By
Paley and Austin of Lancaster (plans); main contractors Smith
and Caird of Dundee (Trescatheric). Sawn, ashlar red
sandstone, graduated slate roof with brick stacks.
3 storeys and attic, 3:15:5:15:4 bays with 4-storey corner
tower on left and angled corner bay on far right; the end
pavilions and centre are taller; recessed 15-bay sections in
repeated rhythm 2:1:2 divided by buttressed party walls. Near
symmetrical composition. Rock-faced plinth rises to chamfered
sill band; sill bands to upper floors; 4-pane sashes. End
pavilions and centre have 2-light mullioned windows:
shouldered lights and relieving arches to ground floor;
square-headed lights with round-arched hoodmoulds to 1st
floor; round-arched lights with coupled hoodmoulds to 2nd
floor. String course and terracotta corbel table to eaves of
mansard roof with hipped-roof dormers.
Within the 15-bay sections, all 2nd-floor windows have
shouldered lights; the single bays project, have 2-light
mullioned windows and rise as full dormers with
shouldered-light windows under relieving arches, hoodmoulds
and coped gables. Eaves, dormers and roof as centre.
The buttresses rise to coped, party-wall parapets;
multiple-flue brick ridge stacks. Corner tower on left is
octagonal and has door to Michaelson Road with round arch and
triangular hoodmould; round-arched windows to upper floors;
short spire with lucarnes and finial. Flanking the base of the
tower are broad, segmentally-arched shop openings with
hoodmoulds (now Island Road Mission).
Right pavilion (The Devonshire PH) has been cement-rendered;
its corner bay corbelled out at each floor and terminating in
hipped-roof garret. Rear: pavilions have angled staircase
recesses with wrought-iron railings to landings set on corbels
or segmental arches; round arches at top under hipped-roof
canopies on large brackets; centre staircase similar but with
canted balconies; roof dormers as front.
The 15-bay sections rise 4 full storeys, their staircases as
centre but set lower, the canopy brackets have curved braces.
The first block of tenements to be built on Barrow Island but
predated in Barrow-in-Furness by the Scotch Flats at Hindpool
(c1871; now demolished). Plans include a front elevation dated
January 1872; on drawings of September 1874 for the adjacent
Devonshire Buildings (Nos 10-14, qv) it states that the
details are '... same as the buildings now in course of
Use of the Scottish tenement system in Barrow can be explained
by the easier access by sea at this time resulting in an
influx of Scottish labour to work for the Barrow Iron
Shipbuilding Co under their 1st manager Mr Robert Duncan of
Glasgow; certainly Barrow attracted its various workforces
from wherever skills existed but opportunity lacked. The tower
complements that of Devonshire Buildings (Nos 10-14); the 2
ranges form an extremely impressive, rare and early complex of
superior industrial housing and bear testimony to the
versatility of this important architectural partnership.
6 later blocks of tenements are set to rear: see under Barque
Street, Brig Street, Schooner Street, Ship Street, Sloop
Street and Steamer Street (qv).
(Building Plans Register: 1872-1874: 595 AND 750; Trescatheric
B: How Barrow was Built: Barrow in Furness: 1985-: 26-27).
Listing NGR: SD1955668196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings