History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Ignatius

A Grade II* Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7637 / 53°45'49"N

Longitude: -2.6967 / 2°41'48"W

OS Eastings: 354169

OS Northings: 429933

OS Grid: SD541299

Mapcode National: GBR TBB.NJ

Mapcode Global: WH85M.KN2J

Entry Name: Church of St Ignatius

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392093

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: St George's

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429NW MEADOW STREET
941-1/10/205 (North side)
27/09/79 Church of St Ignatius

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. 1833-6, by J.J.Scoles of London,
chancel and chapels added 1858 by J.A.Hansom; altered 1885-6
by M.E.Hadfield & Sons, and G.Webster. Chisel-dressed
sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Nave on north-south axis with
east and west aisles; south tower with spire, flanked by
chapel and baptistry (added 1912), east and west transepts,
and chancel with east and west chapels. Perpendicular style.
The tower, of 3 unequal stages with set-back buttresses, has
the main doorway recessed in a 2-centred arch with inner and
outer moulding and a crocketed ogee crest, above this a tall
2-centred arched 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and
a pedestal-mounted statue on the sill, a set-back belfry stage
with louvred 2-light windows, an embattled parapet with
crocketed corner pinnacles, short flying buttresses from these
to an octagonal spire with clock-faces, lucarnes,
roll-moulding to the angles, and an apex cross. The flanking
baptistry and chapel are square, with parapets, each with a
niche statue in the front wall and a large traceried 3-light
window in the side. The nave is tall and narrow, the aisles
low and broad, both of 5 bays, the aisles with buttresses and
wide Tudor-arched 3-light windows and the nave with pilaster
strips and large 3-light clerestory windows, all these windows
with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds, and both with
parapets, those of the nave with tall crocketed pinnacles
(some missing). The transepts, slightly lower than the nave,
have large 4-light traceried windows, and in the angles with
the aisles small added porches. The chancel, 4 bays beyond the
transepts, has pilaster strips and 2 traceried clerestory
windows in each bay except at the north end which has only
one, and various gabled side chapels on both sides in similar
style.
INTERIOR: 5-bay aisle arcades with clustered piers and moulded
2-centred arches, inner shafts carried up to meet slender wall
shafts of roof trusses, which have cusped open-arcading; organ
loft in tower, with choir gallery projected into nave; large
transept arches in similar style, and confessionals at the end
of each (added 1885); 3-bay chancel with arcades also in
similar style but with annular caps to the shafts, hoodmoulds
to the arches, and angel-corbels to the wall-posts; sanctuary
with large transomed window; inner and outer chancel aisles,
with chapels at the north ends, various elaborate reredoses
etc.

Listing NGR: SD5417429935

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.