History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Ignatius School

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7642 / 53°45'50"N

Longitude: -2.697 / 2°41'49"W

OS Eastings: 354153

OS Northings: 429981

OS Grid: SD541299

Mapcode National: GBR TB9.Y4

Mapcode Global: WH85M.JNY6

Plus Code: 9C5VQ873+M6

Entry Name: St Ignatius School

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219021

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392151

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: St George's

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Description


SD5429NW
941-1/10/259

PRESTON
ST IGNATIUS SQUARE
St Ignatius School

GV
II
School. c.1836-42, probably by J.J.Scoles, enlarged 1856 and between 1866 and 1880; altered. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roofs. Double-pile plan on north-south axis, single storeyed under a 2-span roof, the west range extended northwards, and with additions including a 2-storey wing in the angle. Tudor style, with octagonal corner turrets, parapets with ridged coping, and large mullion-and-transom windows. The east range, which is symmetrical and least altered, has a central gabled porch with Tudor-arched doorway (now blocked) with dagger spandrels, dripmould and embattled parapet; three 6-light windows each side, with short Tudor-arched upper lights; and parapeted gables, that to the left with a chimney. The west front, formerly symmetrical and with a similar porch (still in use), has been extended 4 windows northwards, and all the windows now have C20 six-light joinery (inverting the proportions of the originals). The additions at the north end include a tall 2-storey crosswing gabled to the east, which has in the upper storey 3 tall transomed windows, that in the centre of 9 lights with 2 transoms, a statue in a niche above this, and the date 188[ ].

Forms group with St Ignatius Presbytery, to which it is now linked by additions to that, though originally separate.


Listing NGR: SD5416829974

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.