This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8937 / 54°53'37"N
Longitude: -2.9376 / 2°56'15"W
OS Eastings: 339964
OS Northings: 555844
OS Grid: NY399558
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.TJ
Mapcode Global: WH802.V8B7
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert with St Mary
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386848
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE ST CUTHBERTS LANE
671-1/10/251 (West side (off))
01/06/49 Church of St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England church. Dated 1778 on weather vane, built by
Messrs Hayton, Lowthian and Lowrey on a medieval site. Coursed
red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth (all dressings of
calciferous sandstone), with V-jointed quoins, string course,
cornice and solid parapets. Graduated greenslate roof with
coped gables; lead cupola on tower.
8-bay nave with 3-storey west tower/porch and low single-bay
chancel. Projecting tower has central C20 replacement west
doors with patterned fanlight in quoined surround; similar
surround sash window above with glazing bars and a similar
vented belfry over keyed oculus. South face of nave has left
and right plank doors in quoined surround. Leaded casement
windows on 2 levels, those on ground floor with stained glass,
all in stone surrounds. North face has had doorways similar to
south face but one is blocked and the west one now inside
added vestry; windows same as south face. Chancel has Venetian
Around the outer walls are numerous gravestones, some
attached, and some wall plaques.
INTERIOR: porch with flanking wooden stairs to galleries;
numerous white marble wall plaques, one to Matthewman Hodgson
Donald, died 1885, by Jas. Hilton of Manchester with portrait
head. Nave has gallery on 3 sides supported on Tuscan columns,
with upper tier of similar columns each having entablature and
triglyphs. Flat plaster ceiling without embellishment.
Numerous white marble wall plaques, one to the Giles family
with veiled urn and pediment by Paul Nixson of Carlisle 1814;
another with figure of child holding inverted torch and
leaning on a wreathed urn to Elizabeth Connell by David Dunbar
1825; others signed Nelsons, Carlisle (Thomas & James Nelson).
Late C18 box pews cut down. 1905 carved walnut choir stalls
with carved angels; panelled organ casing of same date. 1905
pulpit is on rails by Cowans, Sheldon and Co (Crane makers of
Carlisle) see Country Life (1942). One north window is made of
fragments of medieval glass from the original church,
reassembled by the York Glaziers in 1961; south windows are
C20 depicting scenes from the life of St Cuthbert, by A.K.
Nicholson Studios, London. Late C19 coloured marble font.
Royal Arms of Victoria 1885 on gallery. Chancel has wall
plaque to Reverend John Fawcett died 1851, with portrait bust
by William Jackson of Cockermouth and London. 1880 stained
glass east window to memory of Joseph Ferguson.
HISTORY: One of two parish churches of Carlisle before its C19
expansion. Construction work recorded in Cumberland Pacquet,
(1778) and its opening in Cumberland Pacquet (1779). Original
drawings and specifications are in Cumbria County Record
Office; architect's name not recorded. For details see church
guide compiled by Ivan Renwick.
(Country Life: 3 July 1942; Cumberland Pacquet: 1 September
1778; Cumberland Pacquet: 21 September 1779).
Listing NGR: NY3996555846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings