History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Patent Slip and Quay Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4468 / 51°26'48"N

Longitude: -2.6181 / 2°37'5"W

OS Eastings: 357139

OS Northings: 172155

OS Grid: ST571721

Mapcode National: GBR C2N.X7

Mapcode Global: VH88M.KWRS

Entry Name: Patent Slip and Quay Walls

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380748

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1315 Patent slip and quay walls

GV II

Patent slip and quay walls. Mid C19, restored 1888. Granite
and Pennant rubble. 1 in 14 inclined slip with rails and
timber cradle on wheels, drawn by an electric winch. Quay
walls extend approx 50m along frontage of the Underfall Yard.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Built on land reclaimed behind Jessop's 1809
Overfall Dam, originally part of the c1850 Nova Scotia Yard,
purchased by the Docks Committee in 1880. Capable of raising a
load of 250 tons.
(Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-:
65).


Listing NGR: ST5713972155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BRISTOL

ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1315 Patent slip and quay walls

GV II

Patent slip and quay walls. Mid C19, restored 1888. Granite
and Pennant rubble. 1 in 14 inclined slip with rails and
timber cradle on wheels, drawn by an electric winch. Quay
walls extend approx 50m along frontage of the Underfall Yard.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Built on land reclaimed behind Jessop's 1809
Overfall Dam, originally part of the c1850 Nova Scotia Yard,
purchased by the Docks Committee in 1880. Capable of raising a
load of 250 tons.
(Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-:
65).


Listing NGR: ST5713972155

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.