History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walney Lighthouse with Two Attached Cottages and Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0487 / 54°2'55"N

Longitude: -3.1772 / 3°10'38"W

OS Eastings: 323019

OS Northings: 462058

OS Grid: SD230620

Mapcode National: GBR 6P7M.YD

Mapcode Global: WH72X.5H9J

Entry Name: Walney Lighthouse with Two Attached Cottages and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218858

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388601

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Walney South

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: St Mary the Virgin, Walney Island

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Vickerstown

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD26SW SOUTH END, Walney Island
708-1/8/278 Walney Lighthouse with two attached
06/05/76 cottages and outbuildings
(Formerly Listed as:
WALNEY ISLAND
Walney Lighthouse, 2 lighthouse
cottages, lighthouse storeroom)

II*

Lighthouse with attached pair of cottages and storeroom. 1790.
For the Lancaster Quay Commissioners (Barnes); cottages
altered C19. Lighthouse is dressed, painted stone; cottages
stuccoed and with slate roofs. U-shaped group with octagonal
lighthouse linking pair of 2-storey 2-window cottages and
single-storey outbuilding; pebbled courtyard. Lighthouse:
tapered and with slit windows; iron balcony around
fully-glazed lantern housing, hipped roof with finial. Cottage
to left has door in 1-storey link to lighthouse; two C20
six-pane casements to each floor. Cottage to right has gabled
porch with door in left return and 6-pane sashes; the upper
windows in half-dormers. Coped gables; end and central stacks.
Outbuilding: 2 boarded doors and two 12-pane casements,
monoclinal roof. Authorised by Act of Parliament in 1789.
Built using stone from Overton near Lancaster at a cost of
ยป1,100. The lighthouse is of particular importance within the
group.
(Barnes F: Barrow and District: Barrow in Furness: 1968-: 91).


Listing NGR: SD2301962058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.