This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4722 / 51°28'20"N
Longitude: -2.6063 / 2°36'22"W
OS Eastings: 357983
OS Northings: 174983
OS Grid: ST579749
Mapcode National: GBR C5C.J2
Mapcode Global: VH88M.S806
Plus Code: 9C3VF9CV+VF
Entry Name: Redland Chapel
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218876
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380322
Location: Redland, Bristol, BS6
Electoral Ward/Division: Redland
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Redland
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5774 REDLAND GREEN ROAD, Redland
901-1/34/1723 (South side)
08/01/59 Redland Chapel
Chapel. 1740-43. Probably by John Strahan. Plasterwork by
Thomas Paty. For John Cossins of Redland Court (qv). Limestone
ashlar and leaded dome, roof not visible. Chancel and nave.
Square chancel has rusticated quoins, sill band, cornice and
parapet, with blind lunette with Gibbsian architrave on Moor's
head corbels below the band; 4-bay N elevation of
semicircular-arched windows with panelled architraves, imposts
and keys, aprons below the band and plain frieze under
cornice, with sections of blind balustrade over windows.
Similar S elevation.
W front is an engaged portico, 2 pairs of Ionic pilasters to
modillion pediment containing lunette with floral architrave;
segmental-headed 2-leaf panelled door in eared architrave with
scrolled key, garland and floating cornice and rustication
either side, beneath shell-head niche with volute feet and
winged cherub set in raised panel; on the pediment a square
plinth with urns at corners, which curves up into an octagonal
cupola with keyed oculi on the principal sides, cornice on
acanthus brackets and gadrooned octagonal dome with gilded
ball and cross.
INTERIOR: fine and complete. At E end winged cherubs round the
lunette, with octagonal coffering to chancel ceiling, and a
cornice running round into a pulvinated frieze flanking
semicircular chancel arch, on fluted pilasters; panelled
wainscotting with winged cherub-head corbels to fluted
pilasters flanking windows, coffered reveals, and plaster
decoration to spandrels; at W end a shouldered architrave with
console key below pediment leads to octagonal vestibule,
semicircular keyed arches either side, below 3 equal arches to
gallery, with blind balustrades to flanking elliptical arches,
and niches between containing busts.
FITTINGS: pulpit with tester by Paty, carved with trophies;
hexagonal baluster font 1755 by Thomas Paty; marble Communion
table on gilded eagle in style of Kent. Monuments: busts of
John and Martha Cossins by Rysbrack in gallery.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: flight of Pennant stone steps to entrance
returns at the ends with a wrought-iron rail.
Attribution is not proven, and William Halfpenny, who
supervised completion, may also have been the architect.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 135; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 55; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 470; Dening C F
W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol:
Listing NGR: ST5798174983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings