This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8936 / 54°53'36"N
Longitude: -2.9382 / 2°56'17"W
OS Eastings: 339920
OS Northings: 555827
OS Grid: NY399558
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.PL
Mapcode Global: WH802.V80C
Entry Name: Diocesan Church Centre
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386915
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE WEST WALLS
671-1/10/312 (East side)
Diocesan Church Centre
Grammar School, now Church Centre and library. 1832 and 1851
extensions, for the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle Cathedral.
Coursed red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth. Graduated
Welsh slate roof, partly hipped; C19 red sandstone gable
Single-storey, single-bay original school, has single-bay
extension, then 4-bay extension, all in one row. Car-park
facade has oldest part at left; large 5-light stone mullioned
window with curved head and hoodmould. This and the 1832
extension have facing gables; 1832 extension has a 3-light
cross-mullioned window. 1851 extension has C20 left door in
original lean-to porch, dated on carved ribbon over entrance.
Further bays are set back with 2-light stone mullioned windows
and C20 right door in C20 surround. Left return wall has C20
mullioned windows to match the C19 ones. West Walls facade has
stone-mullioned windows those to right being C20.
INTERIOR not inspected.
The Grammar School was of royal foundation and formed part of
the Cathedral, hence within the Cathedral grounds, on the site
of the former malt kiln of the Priory of St Mary. Became the
Choir School of the Cathedral when a new Grammar School was
built in 1883. Threatened with demolition in 1977, but
converted to its present use shortly afterwards. A plan of
1827 in Cumbria County Record Office (D & C 2/1) shows that
the 1806 Grammar School was demolished to make way for the
1832 rebuilding. Included for group value and historical
Listing NGR: NY3992255825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings