This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4146 / 52°24'52"N
Longitude: 0.7471 / 0°44'49"E
OS Eastings: 586927
OS Northings: 283176
OS Grid: TL869831
Mapcode National: GBR RD7.PNX
Mapcode Global: VHKCC.WKTS
Plus Code: 9F42CP7W+VR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 3 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384849
Location: Thetford, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24
Civil Parish: Thetford
Built-Up Area: Thetford
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thetford St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL8683 WHITE HART STREET
617-1/5/171 (South East side)
03/04/51 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C14 and C15. West tower rebuilt 1789. Flint and
flushwork with ashlar dressings. Tile nave and chancel roofs
and lead north aisle roofs.
West tower, nave, north nave and chancel aisles and chancel.
4-stage tower with diagonal west buttresses and side east
buttresses. Ogeed west doorway with multiple mouldings below
date: 1789. Ringing chamber with 2-light Y-tracery north and
south windows; upper ringing chamber with one 3-light
Y-tracery west window. 2-light louvred belfry windows.
Four 3-light Perpendicular south nave windows under 4-centred
arches separated by stepped buttresses. Gabled nave roof.
North nave aisle has a 3-light Perpendicular west window, an
arched north doorway with double sunk-quadrant mouldings and
two 3-light cusped windows under flat hoods. Later chimney
separates nave from north chancel aisle. Four 2-light C15
north clerestory windows. North chancel aisle pierced by 3
paired lancets. South chancel lit through two C19 three-light
Perpendicular windows. Stepped side buttresses. Arched brick
C20 door to right. 3-light C19 east window. Running south from
east buttress is a length of flint and brick wall containing a
stone pointed arch.
INTERIOR: 4-bay north arcade with double chamfered arches on
octagonal piers. Moulded capitals and bases. Double-chamfered
chancel arch with circular responds. North aisle roof has C15
moulded principals and one tier of butt purlins, carved arched
braces and 4-centred wall arches. North chancel chapel with 3
arcade bays of double-chamfered pointed arches and a C16
four-bay roof of flat-moulded principals and butt purlins.
Boarded barrel-vaulted chancel roof. C19 octagonal font in
chancel. Seats and pulpit C19. West wall of nave with painted
Royal Arms of George III.
Listing NGR: TL8692783176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings