History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14, Saville Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1352 / 54°8'6"N

Longitude: -0.7978 / 0°47'52"W

OS Eastings: 478644

OS Northings: 471707

OS Grid: SE786717

Mapcode National: GBR QNWM.2D

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.QB87

Entry Name: 14, Saville Street

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Last Amended: 5 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389514

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Listing Text


MALTON

SE780715 SAVILLE STREET
801-1/8/128 (East side)
29/09/51 No.14
(Formerly Listed as:
SAVILLE STREET
(East side)
Congregational Church)

GV II

Congregational chapel, now shop and workshop. 1815, with C20
alteration. Front of painted stucco, rusticated on ground
floor, on stone plinth; rear of pink and cream mottled brick
in Flemish bond; painted stone dressings; hipped slate roof
with right end brick stack.
Originally a galleried hall with chancel to south, and lobbies
at each end; vestry attached to rear. 2-storey 5-bay front,
the 3 centre bays breaking forward slightly between giant
Ionic pilasters with plain entablature and pediment. Outer
bays have square-arched door architraves with massive tripled
keystones, the centre stone vermiculated, containing recessed
double doors of sunk panelling.
Ground-floor windows in centre bays are C20 plate glass shop
windows in unaltered openings with cambered heads. First-floor
windows are of 2 rounded "Gothick"-glazed lights in
round-arched architraves. Raised first-floor band, and moulded
cornices to eaves and pediment. Rear: One original
ground-floor window survives, with margin-glazed lights and
cambered head. Windows on first floor repeat those on front.
INTERIOR: at the north end, the area under the gallery, heated
by a boiler, was capable of being partitioned off from the
main chapel by means of sliding screens, probably for the
Sunday School. 2 gallery staircases survive in lobby to right,
with turned balusters and moulded, ramped-up handrails.
Original gallery floor incorporated into flooring of upper
storey c1980. Coffered ceiling survives, without decoration,
together with small domed lantern in centre.


Listing NGR: SE7864471707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.