This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4639 / 51°27'49"N
Longitude: -1.3184 / 1°19'6"W
OS Eastings: 447444
OS Northings: 174096
OS Grid: SU474740
Mapcode National: GBR 816.3H6
Mapcode Global: VHCZ5.3GCN
Plus Code: 9C3WFM7J+GJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220107
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393922
Location: Chieveley, West Berkshire, RG20
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Chieveley
Built-Up Area: Chieveley
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Chieveley with Winterbourne and Oare
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 chancel and C14 tower with nave, south porch, north aisle and vestry of 1873 by J.W. Hugall. Rendered with Bath stone and chalk dressings; 1873 work of flint with Bath stone dressings and lacing courses; tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, north aisle, vestry and chancel.
West tower: two stages; with two low C19 buttresses to west. C13 first stage; depressed arched doorway to west with quatrefoils in spandrels and hood mould with carved stops. Three small lancets above each other to west, and two on northern and southern faces. C14 bell stage with diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet, and two-light openings with quatrefoils in heads, on all faces. String course between stages with corner gargoyles. Clock to east, and cupola with weathervane.
Nave: south side with two paired lancets and two single lancets, with hood moulds. Semicircular arched south doorway with single order and cushion capitals. Gabled south-porch with cross at apex, moulded arch, and low clasping buttresses.
North aisle: four lancets.
Chancel: C13, with string course carried round at feet of lancets. Triple lancets at east end with continuous roll moulding and hood mould. Pair of lancets with hollow mouldings, in north and south walls. Door, and C15 square headed window with two ogee lights, breaking through string course to south-west. Two low buttresses to east.
Vestry: window to east with two ogee lights, and door with hood mould.
Interior. Nave: five bay arcade to north with round piers, moulded capitals, chamfered arches and hood moulds with carved stops. Tower and chancel arches of similar style. Chancel: triple lancets to east with continuous roll moulding and shafts with stiff leaf capitals and moulded cases. Central arch-braced tie beam with traceried spandrels. C19 piscina with hood mould; Jacobean pulpit with blank arches and arabesques; C15 font with octagonal bowl.
Monuments: Fincher, 1688, in chancel; Triggs, 1723, in nave; Hillman, 1745, in nave; Spicer, 1721, in nave.
Listing NGR: SU4744474096
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings