This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8183 / 51°49'5"N
Longitude: 0.1257 / 0°7'32"E
OS Eastings: 546612
OS Northings: 215433
OS Grid: TL466154
Mapcode National: GBR LCY.W2B
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.4K9G
Entry Name: Farmhouse at Crumps Farm
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Last Amended: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394419
Location: High Wych, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: High Wych
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 41 NE HIGH WYCH WEST ROAD
4/66 Farmhouse at Crumps Farm
(formerly listed as Crumps)
House. "IKA 1628" on recessed oval plaster panel, over front
door. Large early C17 L-plan, timberframed farmhouse facing W.
2 storeys and attics. Altered and W and S faces and E gable
cased in red brick in early C18. Other walls plastered. Steep
old red tile roofs with slate courses at eaves. Hipped at angle
but half-hipped at N and E. 2 storeys service wing and staircase
in angle of L, and C17 large single storey timberframed and
plastered brewhouse or kitchen at N end, now used as a lobby.
Single storey lean-to on E with hipped slate and tile roof.
Compact rectangular plan with W entrance lobby beside central
chimneystack in middle of W wing. Stair lobby on E side of
central stack. Hall to N of stack has large fireplace, cross-
beam and exposed joists all chamfered and stopped. Service rooms
open out of hall on N (kitchen) and E (dairy and store rooms).
Corner room to S of stack has cross beam in ceiling. This
parlour has blocked door in framed partition on E side formerly
connecting with E parlour which occupies Ground floor of E wing.
Similar chamfered and stopped ceiling cross-beam N-S and corner
fireplace at NE corner of room. Dado to stair of C17 small
scratch-moulded panelling. Axial ceiling beams on 1st floor and
2 early C17 battened plank doors with moulded edges in W wing.
Stair lit by 3-light, late C17, mullioned and transomed window
and contemporary 1-light window with leaded glazing in iron
casement lights attic from N gable of W range. W front in early
C18 red brick with plinth, raised floor band, oval brick frame to
older date panel, small square window with pegged wooden frame
and diamond lattice over date panel, and segmental window arches
incorporating darker brick headers. The windows have been
widened slightly to accommodate C19 sash windows, and a four and
a half inch brick arch has been inserted under the older arch.
Symmetrical W front with central door flanked by 2 windows. 2
windows on S front and 1 window on each floor on E gable end.
(RCHM (1911) 204: VCH III (1912) 334).
Listing NGR: TL4661215433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings