History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 2 and Former Oddfellows Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.399 / 51°23'56"N

Longitude: -1.3269 / 1°19'36"W

OS Eastings: 446922

OS Northings: 166877

OS Grid: SU469668

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.7C5

Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Y3DC

Entry Name: No 2 and Former Oddfellows Hall

Listing Date: 2 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 394630

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/07/2016

SU 4666 NE 7/76

CRAVEN ROAD (north side)
No 2 and former Oddfellows Hall

(Formerly listed as No 2 and adjoining hall)


GV
II
Former Oddfellows Hall and caretaker's house, now flats. Dated 1886 (pediment). The architect was James H Money of Newbury, the builder was Edward James of Pound Street, Newbury, with stonework by John Pound of Speenhamland. Two storeys. Symmetrical facade with 5 windows and central entrance bay. Brick with stone dressings. Slate roof with moulded brick stacks. Ground floor with rusticated brick pilasters on quoins carrying bracketed stone entablature; 1st floor with pilaster strips carrying cornice and parapet with ramped ends supporting stone urns. Centre-piece over entrance with medallion bearing the arms of the order, with the motto 'Amicitia amor et veritas', the carving being by H Ems of Cheltenham; above is a shell pediment surmounted by an urn. Architraved sash window with bracketed sills. Recessed round-arched entrance with wrought iron gables. Arched entrance to No 2 at east end.


Listing NGR: SU4692266877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/07/2016

SU 4666 NE 7/76

CRAVEN ROAD (north side)
No 2 and former Oddfellows Hall

(Formerly listed as No 2 and adjoining hall)


GV
II
Former Oddfellows Hall and caretaker's house, now flats. Dated 1886 (pediment). The architect was James H Money of Newbury, the builder was Edward James of Pound Street, Newbury, with stonework by John Pound of Speenhamland. Two storeys. Symmetrical facade with 5 windows and central entrance bay. Brick with stone dressings. Slate roof with moulded brick stacks. Ground floor with rusticated brick pilasters on quoins carrying bracketed stone entablature; 1st floor with pilaster strips carrying cornice and parapet with ramped ends supporting stone urns. Centre-piece over entrance with medallion bearing the arms of the order, with the motto 'Amicitia amor et veritas', the carving being by H Ems of Cheltenham; above is a shell pediment surmounted by an urn. Architraved sash window with bracketed sills. Recessed round-arched entrance with wrought iron gables. Arched entrance to No 2 at east end.


Listing NGR: SU4692266877

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.