This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1188 / 50°7'7"N
Longitude: -5.5367 / 5°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 147274
OS Northings: 30293
OS Grid: SW472302
Mapcode National: GBR DXQC.DNK
Mapcode Global: VH05H.Z89S
Entry Name: Market Building
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69515
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Penzance
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Penzance St Mary the Virgin with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 4730 5/59 29.7.53.
1837. Architect Harris of Bristol. Large building of granite ashlar. 2 storeys.
Crowned by lead-covered dome and octagonal lantern, the drum with alternating
twin Tuscan columns and semi-circular headed windows, and entablature with heavy
cornice. North and south elevations 9 windows, ground floor semi-circular heads,
flat pilasters, 3 bay beneath dome pedimented. East end, tall Ionic tetrastyle
facade. West end, central pedimented entrance, curved corner bays set back
with giant engaged columns, entablature, raised pediment at centre with clock.
Listing NGR: SW4728030295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings