This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5091 / 51°30'32"N
Longitude: -1.12 / 1°7'12"W
OS Eastings: 461166
OS Northings: 179271
OS Grid: SU611792
Mapcode National: GBR 926.CNJ
Mapcode Global: VHCZ2.JBRH
Plus Code: 9C3WGV5H+JX
Entry Name: Church of St. Bartholomew
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394744
Location: Basildon, West Berkshire, RG8
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Basildon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Basildon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 NW
Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. Late C13 with tower of 1734, restored with addition of porch and north aisle in 1875-6. Flint with Bath stone dressings, and chancel cill string. Old tile roofs, higher over chancel with coped parapeted gabled ends, including carved kneelers to east. Grey brick west tower with red dressings and chainage, arched gauged window heads with stone keystones and impost blocks, moulded plinth, plat bands, and stone coped battlemented parapet with corner obelisks and weathervanes. Nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle, and west tower.
Tower: three stages. Louvred bell stage openings on all faces, with clock below to south; two second stage windows, blocked to west and partially blocked to south; first stage window to west, and arched south doorway with rusticated brick surround and boarded door.
Nave, south side: three two-light windows with cusped Y-tracery and returned hoodmoulds. South doorway between first and second windows from left, shafted with carved capitals, moulded arch and boarded door. C19 gabled porch. Moulded arch with shafts, carved capitals, and hoodmould with carved stops, inside and out. Cusped one-light openings on east and west faces. Blocked arch inside to east. North side: two-light window to right with cusped Y-tracery and returned hoodmould; C19 lean-to north aisle to left with two-ogee light window.
Chancel, south side: two two-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops; arched doorway between, off-centre to left with cill string raised over as hoodmould, and boarded door. C14 canopied chest tomb in wall, moved from interior, with bland arched arcading along base, large cusped arch, pinnacles, and much ballflower ornament; now monument to Sir Francis Sykes, 1804. North side: two two-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops.
East end: large three-light window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould with carved stops.
Interior: C19 moulded tower arch with hoodmould and carved stops; C19 three bay north aisle arcade with round piers, moulded capitals and bases, and chamfered arches; C19 nave roof of 6 bays with tie beams, double purlins, and arch braced collars with struts to second purlins. C19 moulded and shafted chancel arch, chancel cill string, and C19 chancel roof of three bays as nave. C15 octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panelled sides.
Monuments include: brass to John Clerk and wife, 1497; tablet to Sir Francis Sykes, 1804, by Flaxman, with mourning window by urn and portrait medallion; tablet to Sir Francis W. Sykes, 1843, Gothic by R. Brown. Jethro Tull (1674-1740), the agricultural innovator, was christened and buried in this church.
Listing NGR: SU6116579266
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings