History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Wigsell

A Grade II* Listed Building in Salehurst and Robertsbridge, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0186 / 51°1'6"N

Longitude: 0.509 / 0°30'32"E

OS Eastings: 576072

OS Northings: 127352

OS Grid: TQ760273

Mapcode National: GBR PV9.3HQ

Mapcode Global: FRA C6YF.B3L

Entry Name: Great Wigsell

Listing Date: 3 August 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221404

English Heritage Legacy ID: 413201

Location: Salehurst and Robertsbridge, Rother, East Sussex, TN32

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Salehurst and Robertsbridge

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Salehurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text

TQ 72 NE SALEHURST JUNCTION ROAD,
Bodiam
6/3
Great Wigsell
3.8.61
II*

Large irregular-shaped house mainly early C17, restored by Sir Ernest George in 1905
after it had been unoccupied for some years. The original portion, built by Henry
English, is L-shaped with the staircase in the angle and has the date 1641 on a
doorway. It is very similar in character to Batemans, Burwash, which is dated 1631.
Ashlar. Tiled roof. The main front faces North West. 2 storeys and attic.
5 windows. 3 gables with attic windows and finials over. In the centre is a porch
with 2 storeys and gable over. The porch has a flat archway and enriched cornice
with cartouche above. Casement windows of 2 lights with stone mullions and transoms.
Chimney breasts at each end of the front and behind with red brick stacks. The
south east wing has one gable and a gable end facing south east. Parallel to this
wing is an C18 wing of ashlar with red brick dressings and sash windows with glazing
bars intact and doorway with rectangular fanlight. This has 2 storeys and attic,
3 windows and 2 dormers. At the south west end it was prolonged by Sir Ernest
George when the house was restored in 1905. Goad early C17 staircase and panelling.
The house was the home of Viscount Milner at the end of his life.


Listing NGR: TQ7607227352

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.