History in Structure

Lawsons Funeral Parlour

A Grade II Listed Building in Huddersfield, Kirklees

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6222 / 53°37'19"N

Longitude: -1.8826 / 1°52'57"W

OS Eastings: 407860

OS Northings: 413963

OS Grid: SE078139

Mapcode National: GBR HV9K.69

Mapcode Global: WHCB6.17S0

Plus Code: 9C5WJ4C8+VW

Entry Name: Lawsons Funeral Parlour

Listing Date: 11 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221740

English Heritage Legacy ID: 413619

ID on this website: 101221740

Location: Hill Top, Kirklees, West Yorkshire, HD7

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Colne Valley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Slaithwaite with East Scammonden St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Lawsons Funeral Parlour
Early C18 origin, largely built, 1842 in vernacular revival style. Formerly
Slaithwaite Free School, now funeral parlour. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar
dressings. Stone slate roof with deep ashlar parapet. Two storeys. East elevation:
symmetrical 5-bay facade. The centre bay is flanked by ashlar buttresses and
surmounted by small ashlar gable with carved bishops mitre and inscription 'REBUILT
MDCCCXLII. Central 1st floor, 3-light oriel window with transom with symbols at base
reading: 'Alpha Chi Rho, Omega', meaning 'Christ - the beginning and the end'.
Below, is inscription "to whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Col ii" (St Paul's Epistle to the Colossians, Chapter II, verse 3). Two cross
windows to left and right, 1st floor, and 3 cross windows and 2 Tudor arched entrances
to ground floor. West gable: Over door is inscription in capitals: "Slaithwaite
Free School founded by the Reverend Robert Meck AD 1721 Augmented by the benefactions
of Thomas Walker of Huddersfield, William Walker of Wakefield Esq and Michael
Abeket of Aneley Place. AD 1731 for a school of good literature and the catechism
contained in the liturgy of the Church of England". A further inscription concerns
the foundation of the school dated 1842. Part of the original west wall survives
arid has 3-light chamfered window, altered to ground floor. To lst floor is 3 over
5-light and 3 over 3-light double chamfered mullioned and transom windows.

Listing NGR: SE0786013963

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.