This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5756 / 52°34'32"N
Longitude: -0.3941 / 0°23'38"W
OS Eastings: 508924
OS Northings: 298739
OS Grid: TL089987
Mapcode National: GBR GY5.H65
Mapcode Global: WHGMB.XJJC
Plus Code: 9C4XHJG4+69
Entry Name: Stibbington Hall
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414080
Location: Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8
Civil Parish: Sibson-cum-Stibbington
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Castor with Upton and Stibbington and Water Newton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
11/112 Stibbington Hall
Country house. Dated 1624 on plaque with late C17 or C18 alterations and C20
additions. Ketton limestone with Collyweston stone slated roofs. Two
storeys: E-plan extended to north-west with later rear passage and long
gallery. South-west facade: Symmetrical with projecting wings with two
storey bay windows to right and left hand; two storeyed central porch. Two
ashlar chimney stacks symmetrically positioned, with two flues and a common
entablature. Moulded stone copings to parapet gables with shaped apex and
side finials, curvilinear parapet gable to porch with carved and shaped
finials. Continuous moulded string course at first floor and also at eaves
height carried above two storey bay windows; continuous chamfered plinth.
Entrance archway to porch with semi-circular head and moulded architrave with
rectangular keystone and jewel ornament, moulded imposts, sunk spandrels and
stop-chamfered responds flanked by Doric pilasters on pedestals, square
incised sundial on right hand pilaster; first floor three-light casement
window with moulded mullions and transome, flanked by Ionic pilasters on
pedistals, below the window a sunk rectangular panel inscribed with lead
lettering 'DEO TRIN-UNI SIT GLORIA 1624', in gable above a raised shield
carved with arms of Peter Edwards of Alleston and his wife, initials 'IE', and
'IH' below of John Edwards his son and wife. Inner doorway with flat
four-centred arch in a square head with stop moulded jambs. Two storey bay
windows to each wing carried above eaves height with a moulded parapet, two
windows to each bay with four mullioned and transomed casement lights and
single side lights. One similar four-light window at each floor flanking
porch, first floor windows carried above eaves height; oval lights with
moulded architraves in each gable pediment. Interior: Original stone chimney
pieces with moulded jambs, flat two-centred heads and moulded cornices in hall
and south-east wing; staircase hall rebuilt with C17 closed string staircase
with symmetrically shaped balusters, square newels and moulded finials.
Alterations and repairs are recorded in rentals 1857-8.
V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p28
R.C.H.M Huntingdonshire, p233
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p347
Gilbert, J.L. Stibbington Church and Parish, 1978.
Peterbough, H and C Life 1976
Bedford Estate Rentals 1857-8. B.R.O.
Listing NGR: TL0892498739
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings