History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Rows of Tombstones in Eastern Angle of South Porch and Aisle of Parish Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5748 / 52°34'29"N

Longitude: -0.3926 / 0°23'33"W

OS Eastings: 509027

OS Northings: 298655

OS Grid: TL090986

Mapcode National: GBR GY5.HLJ

Mapcode Global: WHGMB.YJ7Y

Entry Name: Four Rows of Tombstones in Eastern Angle of South Porch and Aisle of Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 16 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222315

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414085

Location: Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Sibson-cum-Stibbington

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Castor with Upton and Stibbington and Water Newton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wansford

Listing Text

SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON STIBBINGTON
TL 0898 CHURCH LANE

11/117 (East Side)
Four rows of tomb-
stones in eastern
angle of south
porch and aisle of
parish church of
St John The Baptist
GV II
Four rows of tombstones. C18 and early C19 representing a larger number of
good C18 tombstones and limestone slabs. Identified in rows A-D from west to
east. Row A: a) Dated 1818 to Robt Boyall segmental head with oval plaque and
ribband and laural leaf garland, inscription painted black; b) Shaped head
with raised plaque, inscription unclear; c) Dated 1858 to Mary Boyall, plain
slab with deep incised inscription; d) Dated 1865 to John Boyall similar to
above. Row B: a) Dated 1865 to John Boyall similar to above. Row B: a) Dated
1799, segmental head with recessed oval plaque putti and garlands, black
painted inscription unclear; b) Dated 1720, classical compostition with lonic
columns and winged putti, inscription unclear; c) Dated 1709, segmental head
with putti and garlands; d) Dated 18-- to Wm Allen, segmental head with oval
plaque and black painted inscription. Row C: a) Dated 1781 to John Cooper,
square head with inscribed decoration including fluted columns and arabesques;
b) Square head with winged putti and rosettes, cartouche with two putti,
inscription unclear; c) Dated 1748, scroll head with cartouche and two putti,
inscription unclear; Row D: a) Dated 1770 to Mary Cooper, square head with
inscribed decoration including fluted columns and arabesques; b) Dated 17--
segmental head, two putti flank small cartouche with two oval plaques,
inscription unclear; a) Segmental head with urn and putti decoration above
segmental headed plaque, inscription unclear; d) Dated 1863 to John Gallow,
segmental and shouldered head with draped urn and two putti, segmental,
shouldered plaque with black painted inscription.


Listing NGR: TL0902798655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.