History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Handforth Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Handforth, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3465 / 53°20'47"N

Longitude: -2.2071 / 2°12'25"W

OS Eastings: 386307

OS Northings: 383309

OS Grid: SJ863833

Mapcode National: GBR FY0R.Y2

Mapcode Global: WHBB8.248V

Entry Name: Handforth Hall

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222483

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414655

Location: Handforth, Cheshire East, SK9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Handforth

Built-Up Area: Wilmslow

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Handforth St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Handforth

Listing Text

SJ 88 SE WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. HALL ROAD
(North Side) Handforth

2/283 Handforth Hall

30/3/1951
II*

Manor house: dated 1562 for Sir Urian Brereton some early C17
alterations and successive restorations. Timber framed on sandstone
plinth, Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 2 brick chimneys.
Probably E-shaped or possibly quadrangular in plan at full extent, now
1 range. 2-storey, 5-bay front. Central bay is a 2-storey porch
under a coved gable with an entrance with ornately carved jambs and
inscription on the lintel reading

"THIS HAULLE WAS BUYLDED IN THE YEARE OF OUR LORD GOD MCCCCCLXll BY
URYAN BRERETON KNIGHT WHOM MARYED MARGARET DAUGHTER AND HEYRE OF
WYLLYAM HANDFORTH OF HANDFORTHE ESQUYER AND HAD ISSUE VI SONNES AND II
DAUGHTERS".

Behind porch is a 4-centred arched entrance with C20 door. Above is
coving with pierced quatrefoils, a motif repeated at the eaves. 1st
storey has. a 2-light mullioned and transomed window partly with
original leaded glazing. Above window is diamond pattern timbering
continuing across the whole front and cross motif in the gable. Right
end bay is a similar projection but with no door and left end bay has
no coving as there was another range joined at this point. Original
or copied 2 and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows throughout.
To rear are 2 long wood mullioned windows to former great hall and
chevroning throughout. Left end is a similar 2-storey projection with
ornate carving on tiebeam of gable. 1-storey addition at east end.
Interior: Entrance into screens passage where 1 post has black
painted interlace decoration. To right is former great hall (now
divided into 2 rooms). Chamfered ceiling beams, 1 resting on a carved
bracket. Stone fireplace brought from Yorkshire. Arcade of 3
entrances on left side of screens passage, 2 with elliptical heads of
early C17, far one is original 4-centred head to "chapel". Central
opening to very fine oak well staircase with 2 levels of open Jacobean
arcaded panelling, square newels with carved finials. In stairwell,
balustrade has 2 gates to deep recess, probably for a watch dog. On
landing is pair of Jacobean 3-panel doors with strapwork in the top
panel. These open to antechambers with a wall completely covered with
chevron timberwork, (1 contains a blocked original doorway). Main
chamber lies beyond and has been divided into 2.

The home of Sir William Brereton, Parliamentary commander in the
North-West.


Listing NGR: SJ8630783309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.