This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8107 / 51°48'38"N
Longitude: -0.0315 / 0°1'53"W
OS Eastings: 535799
OS Northings: 214288
OS Grid: TL357142
Mapcode National: GBR KBL.JTH
Mapcode Global: VHGPH.DRP8
Plus Code: 9C3XRX69+79
Entry Name: 49 51, High Street
Listing Date: 14 March 1974
Last Amended: 13 September 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 412343
Location: Ware, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Ware
Built-Up Area: Ware
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ware
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL3514SE HIGH STREET
829-1/9/106 (South side)
14/03/74 Nos.49 AND 51
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Former inn, subsequently 2 houses, now in commercial use with
flats over. C16, rebuilt C17, with C19 and C20 alterations.
Timber-framed, stucco facing, old tiled roof with broad
cornice, 2 box casement dormers with C20 windows.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. Jettied first floor with
canted oriel bay at left with C19 sash windows (No.49), 2
flush sash windows (No.51). Ground floor of No.49 at left has
modern shopfront beneath jetty, flanked by C19 fluted
pilasters, surmounted by paired profiled console brackets.
1980s shopfront to No.51 at right, with tiled stallriser and
pilasters, framing bold modern timber-framed windows, with
recessed entrance with glazed door at right. Central
carriageway with exposed timber beams above, twin leaf timber
doors, with wicket. 2 storey rear outshoots, timber-framed,
plastered with old tiled roofs, altered 1980s. No.49 has 5
flush set sash windows on first floor, 1 on ground floor, and
blocked C18 doorway with architrave surround and flat moulded
head on cut profiled console brackets. No.51 has a similar
doorway and 2 C19 4-light cast-iron casement windows on ground
INTERIOR of No.49 has close string newel stair with turned
balusters. Ground floor of No.51 now opened out, with C18 fire
surrounds remaining on first floor and in attic. Sash windows
of early C18 pattern with quadrant bars and crown glass. Tie
beams and heavy rafters exposed within rear outshoot
refurbished 1980s. No.51 was originally The Falcon Inn but had
become The Bear Inn by end C15. It subsequently became a
house, and a maltings was built behind it, which later became
the Falcon Ironworks and Foundry (now rebuilt as a printing
works, not included). The small-paned cast-iron casement
windows here and elsewhere in the town were manufactured on
(Edwards E and Perman D: Ware's Past In Pictures: Ware: 1991-:
62; Hunt EM: The History of Ware: Hertford: 1986-1946: 97;
Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings of special arch or
historic interest: 1993-: 30; Ware 25" to 1 Mile. Surveyed by
the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-).
Listing NGR: TL3579914288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings