History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Withington, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7132 / 52°42'47"N

Longitude: -2.6278 / 2°37'39"W

OS Eastings: 357688

OS Northings: 313026

OS Grid: SJ576130

Mapcode National: GBR BP.23RS

Mapcode Global: WH9D0.L2X9

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 17 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418223

Location: Withington, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Withington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Withington St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Rodington

Listing Text

SJ 51 SE WITHINGTON C.P. WITHINGTON

4/119 The Old Hall
29.1.52 (formerly listed as
The Vicarage)

GV II*

Vicarage, now house. Circa 1700. Red brick with hipped plain tile roof.
U-plan; infilled at rear probably in the early to mid-C18. 2 storeys and
attic. Painted rendered chamfered quoins, painted rendered plat band and
moulded wooden dentil eaves cornice; 3 flat-topped dormers with moulded
wooden-framed 2-light casements, and brick ridge stack on each wing to rear.
6 bays; glazing bar sashes with shaped gauged heads, moulded cills and
narrow rectangular panels beneath those on first floor; narrow glazing bar
sashes flanking central circa 1700 door with 10 raised and fielded panels
and L-hinges on inside, moulded architrave, and probably mid-to-late C18
porch with unfluted Doric columns and pilasters supporting frieze and
cornice. Left-hand return front: 5 bays; central narrow glazing bar
sashes on each floor, some bays with blind windows and some bays blank;
late C19 or early C20 hipped-roofed canted bay to right. Wings to rear with
stone-coped parapeted gables. Interior: flagged entrance hall; circa
1700 dog-leg staircase rising to attic with closed string, turned balusters,
panelled square newel posts, and moulded handrail; reeded architraves to
windows and doors; panelled shutters to windows; circa 1700 bolection
moulded fireplace surround; late C18 or early C19 first floor cast iron
grate; circa 1830-40 marble fireplace surround in ground floor front room
to left. Graded II* as an unaltered example of an early C18 house with high
quality detailing.

Listing NGR: SJ5768813026

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.