History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Shrubbery

A Grade II Listed Building in Withington, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.714 / 52°42'50"N

Longitude: -2.6265 / 2°37'35"W

OS Eastings: 357772

OS Northings: 313114

OS Grid: SJ577131

Mapcode National: GBR BP.242P

Mapcode Global: WH9D0.M1HP

Entry Name: The Shrubbery

Listing Date: 17 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223162

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418749

Location: Withington, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Withington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Withington St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Rodington

Listing Text

SJ 51 SE WITHINGTON C.P. WITHINGTON

4/123 The Shrubbery
-

GV II

House. Early and mid-C17 with partial late C18 or early C19 rebuilding
and probably late C19 addition at rear. Timber framed with painted brick
nogging, and on chamfered sandstone plinth to south; eaves raised and
rebuilt with painted brick to front and north; plain tile and slate roof
around central valley. Front range and 2 wings to rear. Basement, one
storey and attic, and 2 storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice to front and
north; fretted bargeboards with finials; 2 brick ridge stacks to rear
ranges. Framing: square panels (3 and 4 from sole-plate to wall-plate)
with long tension braces; close studding with middle rail. 3 bays;
first floor late C19 two- and 3-light wooden casements with transoms, and
ground-floor 16-pane glazing bar sashes with rendered lintels; central
door of 6 flush panels (top 4 panels glazed) with flush-panelled reveals,
fanlight with intersecting Gothick tracery, and remains of doorcase with
reeded pilasters and tall shaped brackets; circa 1920 gabled brick porch.
2 gabled wings to rear, that to right has gable with 2 collars, close
studding, and central quatrefoil panel with V-strut above. Interior:
chamfered beams; first floor left-hand back room with chamfered joists
and beam; semi-basement to left at back with chamfered beam and latterly
used as a dairy, with cooling shelf; ground floor right-hand back room
has large C17 open fireplace with roll-moulded lintel; C17 boarded doors
with shaped strap hinges throughout, and circa 1800 panelled doors to front
range; altered C17 staircase.

Listing NGR: SJ5777213114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.