This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3749 / 51°22'29"N
Longitude: 1.4451 / 1°26'42"E
OS Eastings: 639859
OS Northings: 169619
OS Grid: TR398696
Mapcode National: GBR Y1D.L6C
Mapcode Global: VHMCQ.0PBV
Plus Code: 9F339CFW+X2
Entry Name: The North Foreland Lighthouse Including Attached Lighthouse Keepers Houses
Listing Date: 24 January 1950
Last Amended: 29 March 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222802
English Heritage Legacy ID: 417974
Location: Broadstairs and St. Peters, Thanet, Kent, CT10
Civil Parish: Broadstairs and St. Peters
Built-Up Area: Broadstairs
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 36 NE
BROADSTAIRS AND ST PETERS
NORTH FORELAND ROAD
The North Foreland Lighthouse including attached lighthouse keepers houses
(Formerly listed as:
NORTH FORELAND ROAD
The North Foreland Lighthouse)
Lighthouse with two attached Lighthouse keepers houses. Lighthouse built in 1691 increased in height in 1793 and again at the end of the C19. Lighthouse keepers houses added c1860. Lighthouse comprises stuccoed octagonal tower of two stages, battered to base with moulded cornice at the top, moulded band half way up and plinth. The height of the tower is 57 metres. Circular lantern house above with platform round it added in 1890. Gabled porch with kneelers, slate roof and crest was probably added in the later C19. The Lighthouse is flanked by the two Lighthouse keeper's houses attached by one storey stuccoed windowless corridors. These are stuccoed with hipped slate roofs with clustered central brick chimneystacks with four flues each. Two storeys; three windows. Wide bracket eaves cornice. Casement windows with hoodmoulding and central gabled porches with kneelers and crest. The windows to the rear elevation are blank.
HISTORY: A light was first used at the North Foreland in 1499 but the first real lighthouse was built by Sir John Meldrum in 1636. This comprised a two storey structure of timber lath and plaster with an iron coal burning grate on top and was destroyed by fire in 1683. A twelve metres tall tower was built in 1691 constructed of brick, stone and flint, later rendered over. Originally coal-fired, the fire was enclosed in a glazed lantern in 1719 but this was removed in 1730 after complaints from shipping. In 1793 a further two storeys were added and the coal fire replaced by 18 oil lamps. Trinity House purchased the lighthouse in 1832. The lighthouse keepers cottages were in use from c1860 to 1995.
[Buildings of England. "North East and East Kent" p163.]
Listing NGR: TR3985969619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings