This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.276 / 51°16'33"N
Longitude: 0.5204 / 0°31'13"E
OS Eastings: 575895
OS Northings: 156005
OS Grid: TQ758560
Mapcode National: GBR PR1.SH3
Mapcode Global: VHJMD.Z603
Entry Name: Chillington House the Maidstone Municipal Museum and Art Gallery
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173310
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
(The Maidstone Municipal Museum
and Art Gallery)
TQ 7555 NE 1/107
TQ 7556 SE 4/107 30.7.51.
The core is an early Elizabethan house built by Nicholas Barham who bought
the manor in 1561. Heavily restored in 1875 it has later additions. The front
facing Faith Street is E-shaped. Red brick. Each of the 3 projecting wings
has 3 storeys, one window and a gable with kneelers, the apex of the gable
being surmounted by stone animal figures and the kneelers by twisted finials
ending in ball caps. These figures and finials were added in the C19. Between
these projections is one window bay of 2 storeys. Stone cornice above each
floor. Windows of 3 tiers of 4 lights with wooden mullions and transoms and
diamond leaded panes. Giving entrance to the forecourt from Faith Street are
C19 stone gate piers surmounted by figures of lions sedant. The back of the
part of the building facing Brenchley Gardens has been added in the late C17.
It has 2 storeys and an attic. 7 windows and 5 dormers with pediments. Red
brick. Tiled roof and wooden modillion eaves cornice. Recessed panels between
the ground and 1st floor windows. Casement windows with small square leaded
panes. 1-sash windows with glazing bars intact.
The north wing is timber-framed but restored and was formerly weatherboarded.
On its east front it has 3 gables, the 2 southernmost ones of stone rubble
on the ground£floor and red brick above, the northernmost one of studded timber
framing on a base of stone rubble. On the west front this wing is of red brick
on the ground floor and studded above, the 1st floor overhanging on a moulded
bressumer. 2 storeys. Porch in the centre of the front with its 1st floor
jettied and a gable over. Continuous gallery windows which are a modern reconstruction
of the original. Modern extension at the north end of the wing. Also modern
extensions to the east and west of the main building replacing older structures.
The timber framed building to the east of the north wing was the south wing
of Court Lodge East Farleigh, which was re-erected here in 1874. The interior
contains a fine Elizabethan Great Hall with Cl6 panelling and its original
screen which has a frieze pierced with a lattice of quatrefoils. Fine C16
fireplaces and cloisters dating from the reign of Henry VII or Henry VIII.
The interior of the south wing of the Court Lodge East Farleigh has a crown
Listing NGR: TQ7591255993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings