This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7379 / 50°44'16"N
Longitude: -1.2596 / 1°15'34"W
OS Eastings: 452339
OS Northings: 93407
OS Grid: SZ523934
Mapcode National: GBR 9CB.LCC
Mapcode Global: FRA 8774.C2M
Plus Code: 9C2WPPQR+54
Entry Name: Coburg
Listing Date: 17 August 1951
Last Amended: 9 August 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418621
ID on this website: 101223080
Location: Whippingham, Isle of Wight, PO32
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Whippingham
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Whippingham St Mildred
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
Tagged with: Building
(Formerly listed as
SZ 59 SW 7/70 17.8.51.
Circa 1853. The whole Barton Manor Estate, of which these form part, was purchased
by Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort in 1853 and formed part of the Osborne
Estate until the Queen's death. These 2 cottages were built by the Prince
Consort about 1853 and are a reproduction of peasant cottages in Coburg. Two
storeys and 5 windows to east front. The gable ends have 3 storeys, 3 windows
on ground and 1st floors and 2 windows on 2nd or attic storey. The ground
floor is faced with cement with ornamental woodwork superimposed to represent
elaborate timbering. The 1st floor is hung with slates unusually shaped like
a fan hung with the point upwards and painted with festoons of flowers in white.
Wide overhanging bracket eaves built to facilitate the fall of snow off the
roof away from the windows with painted band. Concavely-curved or chinoiserie
style roof of pantiles with gable ends north and south. Cemented chimneystacks.
Wooden verandah in the centre of the ground floor with baluster-shaped columns
supporting the eaves. Casement windows. Two casement windows with wooden
surrounds. These cottages are particularly interesting because of the Prince
Consort's involvement and the rarity of the style in England.
Listing NGR: SZ5233993407
Other nearby listed buildings