History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barton Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Whippingham, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7474 / 50°44'50"N

Longitude: -1.2643 / 1°15'51"W

OS Eastings: 452001

OS Northings: 94453

OS Grid: SZ520944

Mapcode National: GBR 89Z.54Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 8773.H8G

Entry Name: Barton Manor

Listing Date: 9 August 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223969

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419910

Location: Whippingham, Isle of Wight, PO32

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Whippingham

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Whippingham St Mildred

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Whippingham

Listing Text

WHIPPINGHAM ROAD
1.
5270
Whippingham
Barton Manor
SZ 59 SW 7/133
II
2.
1853 with some earlier origins. An Augustinian Oratory was founded here in
1272 and was suppressed in 1439. A house was built on the site in the early
C17. This had largely fallen into ruins in the middle of the C19. The whole
estate was purchased by Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort in 1853 and the
house almost entirely rebuilt in the old stone in Jacobean style. The north-east
front is E-ahaped. Two storeys and attics 5 windows. Built of stone rubble
with ashlar quoins stone galleting and rubble plinth. Tiled roof with clustered
brick chimneystacks. Five gables of which the apices and angles are surmounted
by finials. Also 2 similar gables to the inner face of the outside projecting
wings. In the centre is a porch with 2 storeys over, similarly gabled with
round-headed archway. Casement windows with stone mullions. In the north-west
wall of the southernmost projecting wing are 3 blocked lancet windows from the
mediaeval Oratory. The south-west front has 3 gables and 6 windows, all of
2 tiers of 2 lights with stone mullions and transoms. Edwardian panelling
to interior.


Listing NGR: SZ5200194453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.