History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Tintagel, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6629 / 50°39'46"N

Longitude: -4.7536 / 4°45'13"W

OS Eastings: 205486

OS Northings: 88417

OS Grid: SX054884

Mapcode National: GBR N1.7GS3

Mapcode Global: FRA 07XB.5W7

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 19 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223296

English Heritage Legacy ID: 68844

Location: Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Tintagel

Built-Up Area: Tintagel

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Tintagel

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Forrabury

Listing Text

TINTAGEL TINTAGEL
SX 08 NE
4/183 The Vicarage
19.1.52
GV II
Vicarage. Circa early C17, extended in early C19 and in mid C19. Slate stone rubble
with dressed greenstone quoins. Rag slate roof with brick stacks on gable ends of
early C19 extension on right. Regular slate roof to lower circa early C17 range on
left with gable end to shallow wing on left; brick axial stack backing onto lower
left hand side of passage and brick lateral stack on lower left hand side, heating
wing.
Earlier vicarage on left was possibly of a 3 (or more) room and through passage plan.
The higher right hand end has been demolished leaving the through passage, a room
below the passage heated by a stack which backs onto the lower side of the passage
and a shallow wing beyond, heated by a side lateral stack. The masonry at the
junction between the central range and shallow wing indicates some rebuilding
incorporating a jamb to a possible blocked opening. A stair has been inserted to the
rear of the through passage, accommodated in a shallow stair projection.
In circa early C19 an extension was built probably on the site of an earlier range,
on the higher (right hand) side of the passage. This extension was of single depth
plan and contained 2 reception rooms flanking a central stair hall. The earlier C17
part was then used as a service range. In circa mid C19, probably during the
incumbancy of Robert Stapylton Bree (1835-1851) a further wing of 1-room plan, was
added to the rear of the early C19 extension and heated by a rear lateral stack.
2 storeys with earlier vicarage to left with shallow wing on left continued by
gatehouse and garden wall (qv). To right the circa early C19 extension with a
symmetrical 3-window front has early C19 hornless sashes with crown glass on the
first floor: ground floor with C16 pane sash in dressed stone arch on left, 1-light
casement window inserted to left of part glazed C19 door and C20 gabled timber porch.
To right a re-used small 1-light greenstone window and a later C19 canted bay window.
First floor has three 16-pane sashes with timber lintels.
In the lower left hand range, the entrance has a plank door and 2-light mullion
window above. To left a 3-light mullion window and a 2-light mullion window in the
shallow wing, both with hood moulds. 3-light and 2-light mullion windows above.
Rear elevation of C17 range has a shallow stair projection on left with a slate-hung
C20 extension above. The 2-light mullion window to the right has unusual diamond
shaped labels to the hood moulds. A stone-rubble wall has been added to the rear of
the later mid C19 extension with several mullion windows and cusped arches reset,
traditionally reputed to have been taken from a house at Trebarwith (qv House at
Trebarwith 50 yards to south of Trebarwith Farm).
Interior not accessible although the vicar suggests that the circa C17 range has been
considerably remodelled in the C20.
Maclean cites the Terriers of the vicarage which were held at the Bishop's Registry,
Exeter.
Canner, A. C. The Parish of Tintagel, some historical notes 1982.
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor 1879 Vol
III


Listing NGR: SX0548688417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.