History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Cow House About 20 Yards North East of Great Cefyn Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Michaelchurch Escley, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0307 / 52°1'50"N

Longitude: -3.0415 / 3°2'29"W

OS Eastings: 328642

OS Northings: 237430

OS Grid: SO286374

Mapcode National: GBR F4.GB5N

Mapcode Global: VH787.77F3

Entry Name: Barn and Cow House About 20 Yards North East of Great Cefyn Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419177

Location: Michaelchurch Escley, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Michaelchurch Escley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Michaelchurch Escley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Michaelchurch Escley

Listing Text

SO 23 NE MICHAELCHURCH ESCLEY CP -

1/30 Barn and cow house about
20 yards north-east of
- Great Cefyn Farmhouse

GV II

Barn and cow house. C17. Rubble, corrugated iron roof. Two parts consisting
of 4 bay barn to west and adjoining cow house with loft to east. Barn: small
2-light oak mullioned window to west bay, ventilator slits in 2 rows, 4 either
side of main south entrance, one of 2 sets of opposed ledged full-height double
doors in the third bay from the west end. Further entrance in west bay to right
of the small 2-light window, with C19 ledged door leading into cot. Cow house
part to east has 3 matching entrances under plain tiled hoods each with pegged
and chamfered oak door frame, the centre one dated "1677" on its lintol; ledged
doors to 2 of the entrances. Interior: Barn with 2 types of A-frame raking
strut trusses: one with 2 vertical posts from tie to collar; the other with
none. Three sets of purlins to each slope appear to continue with overlaps
through east rubble wall into cow house loft. The rubble wall reaches almost
up to tie-beam level and contains just above ground level, a blocked opening
with oak lintol. In the west bay is a cot occupying half the depth and the
whole width of the bay which is partitioned off on north and east sides by
light studs and posts. Cow house: loft (not inspected) and stalls and troughs,
probably C19. Appears to be an extension of the barn. The calligraphic "1677"
incised, slightly off-centre, on the lintol of the central entrance relates
closely to a building of similar date at Lower House Farm (qv). RCHM, Vol I,
refers to the cow house as stables which is strange in view of the lowness of
the entrances.


Listing NGR: SO2864237430

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SO 23 NE MICHAELCHURCH ESCLEY CP -

1/30 Barn and cow house about
20 yards north-east of
- Great Cefyn Farmhouse

GV II

Barn and cow house. C17. Rubble, corrugated iron roof. Two parts consisting
of 4 bay barn to west and adjoining cow house with loft to east. Barn: small
2-light oak mullioned window to west bay, ventilator slits in 2 rows, 4 either
side of main south entrance, one of 2 sets of opposed ledged full-height double
doors in the third bay from the west end. Further entrance in west bay to right
of the small 2-light window, with C19 ledged door leading into cot. Cow house
part to east has 3 matching entrances under plain tiled hoods each with pegged
and chamfered oak door frame, the centre one dated "1677" on its lintol; ledged
doors to 2 of the entrances. Interior: Barn with 2 types of A-frame raking
strut trusses: one with 2 vertical posts from tie to collar; the other with
none. Three sets of purlins to each slope appear to continue with overlaps
through east rubble wall into cow house loft. The rubble wall reaches almost
up to tie-beam level and contains just above ground level, a blocked opening
with oak lintol. In the west bay is a cot occupying half the depth and the
whole width of the bay which is partitioned off on north and east sides by
light studs and posts. Cow house: loft (not inspected) and stalls and troughs,
probably C19. Appears to be an extension of the barn. The calligraphic "1677"
incised, slightly off-centre, on the lintol of the central entrance relates
closely to a building of similar date at Lower House Farm (qv). RCHM, Vol I,
refers to the cow house as stables which is strange in view of the lowness of
the entrances.


Listing NGR: SO2864237430

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.