History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Station and Footbridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Stroud, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7445 / 51°44'40"N

Longitude: -2.219 / 2°13'8"W

OS Eastings: 384977

OS Northings: 205113

OS Grid: SO849051

Mapcode National: GBR 1MK.PS4

Mapcode Global: VH94Y.HF80

Entry Name: Railway Station and Footbridge

Listing Date: 30 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419306

Location: Stroud, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Stroud

Built-Up Area: Stroud

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stroud St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Stroud

Listing Text

STATION ROAD
SO 8405
5/504
Railway Station
and footbridge
II
Railway station and footbridge c.1845 with additions of 1890 and 1914. Probably
by I K Brunel, for the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway, additions for
Great Western Railway. Limestone rubble and ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. The
up platform is a Brunel 'cottage' with extensions of 1890 and 1914. Bridge to
down platform probably 1914. Earliest building (up side): Coursed ashlar
limestone on chisel dressed limestone plinth projecting chisel dressed limestone
quoins and raised ashlar dressings to windows. Ashlar chimneys, (one partly
re-built in reconstructed stone) with high level drip course mouldings. Parapets
to gables and blue Welsh slate roof. Platform canopy-with dogs tooth or chevron
timber fascia, supported partly on cast iron cantilever brackets with circular
motif. Down platform building c.1914: coursed ashlar limestone with projecting
details, plinth and ashlar surrounds to flat arched doorways, all generally
detailed to match earlier building on up platform. Platform canopy and low mono
pitched roof with modern felt covering. Various chamfered timber mullion and
transom windows with some opening casements to both buildings. Original up
platform building is rectangular in plan with projecting wing on north-east side,
with extensions to re-entrant angle, and at both ends. Down platform building is
rectangular plan with bay window at south-east end. Interior of both buildings
divided into various station offices, waiting rooms etc, with no features of
particular interest. Steel and timber covered footbridge links up and down
platforms at north-west end. Platforms at north-west end carried over valley and
roadway on bridge and blue engineering brick viaduct. Group value with viaduct,
railway goods shed (q.v.) and Hill-Paul Mill building to south-west. Building
originally for C and GWUR with Brunel as consultant engineer. Taken over by GWR
in 1844. (GWR Magazine July 1946, AGM Report 1936 for C and GWUR).


Listing NGR: SO8497705113

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.