History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Irby in the Marsh, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1507 / 53°9'2"N

Longitude: 0.1944 / 0°11'39"E

OS Eastings: 546846

OS Northings: 363758

OS Grid: TF468637

Mapcode National: GBR LX9.FZ3

Mapcode Global: WHJM5.Y2RD

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419346

Location: Irby in the Marsh, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE24

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Irby in the Marsh

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Irby-in-the-Marsh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Firsby

Listing Text

IRBY IN THE MARSH WAINFLEET ROAD
TF 46 SE
(north side)
4/56 Church of
All Saints
3.2.67

II*

Parish church. Mid C13, C15, remodelled 1770, restored 1886,
C20. Greenstone and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red
brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and eastern cross
finial. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north vestry.
Medieval greenstone tower almost completely remodelled in red
brick in 1770, of 2 battered stages, with 4 stage angle
buttresses. Chamfered plinth. Semi-circular west doorway with
moulded imposts and keystone and plank door. Rectangular opening
above, now blocked. Rectangular bell openings in 3 sides with
louvred openings. Ashlar coped parapet and stone corner
pinnacles. North side with 2 pointed arcade openings blocked
with brick and 2 C18 semi-circular headed windows inserted, with
ashlar architraves, imposts and keystones. C19 lean-to north
vestry with single cusped lancet to east. North side of chancel
with plinth and C19 segmental headed window with 3 cusped, ogee
headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. East end with 2
stage diagonal buttresses and a similar, but larger window with
hood mould. South side with 2 more, similar windows and re-used
mid C13 doorway with pointed head, continuous chamfered surround
and plank door. Nave with alternating bands of greenstone and
brick, and plinth. 2 C18 semi-circular headed windows with ashlar
architraves, imposts and keystones. C13 pointed interior tower
arch with C18 chamfered arch inserted and resting on chamfered
rectangular jambs. C20 west screen. North arcade blocked, with
pointed double chamfered arches and polygonal moulded capitals
partially exposed. Plain pointed C19 chancel arch. North vestry
arch with pointed head and bowtell moulded surround. Early C15
cinquefoil piscina in east wall. Early C15 small plain octagonal
font.


Listing NGR: TF4684663758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.