This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.342 / 52°20'31"N
Longitude: 1.5012 / 1°30'4"E
OS Eastings: 638590
OS Northings: 277322
OS Grid: TM385773
Mapcode National: GBR XNV.2CS
Mapcode Global: VHM72.ZD0G
Plus Code: 9F438GR2+RF
Entry Name: The Old Almshouses
Listing Date: 21 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419787
Location: Halesworth, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: Halesworth
Built-Up Area: Halesworth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Halesworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/02/2017
The Old Almshouses
(Formerly listed as Former Almshouses (Museum and Library))
Given to the town by William Cary, who died in 1686, when it is considered the money became available and the present building was erected, although there is a reference to Almshouses here in the Court Roll in 1478, and it may be that the site and perhaps the materials or part of an earlier structure are incorporated.
Two storey and attic, three three-light gabled mullion transom dormers, diamond pane leaded lights. Red brick, bands, Dutch gabled ends, three bands, and elliptical windows at attic level. Three mullion transom casements at each floor, to road front. The whole was divided into 12 single rooms, with spiral staircases. Vertical boarded doors in six inch solid frames. Tile roof.
The Old Almshouses, No 1 Church Farm Lane and Nos 14 to 17 form a group in a very important position opposite Church of St Mary.
Listing NGR: TM3858977320
Other nearby listed buildings