This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1044 / 53°6'15"N
Longitude: 0.2349 / 0°14'5"E
OS Eastings: 549712
OS Northings: 358689
OS Grid: TF497586
Mapcode National: GBR LXY.67M
Mapcode Global: WHJMD.L72F
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224246
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420256
Location: Wainfleet All Saints, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE24
Civil Parish: Wainfleet All Saints
Built-Up Area: Wainfleet All Saints
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wainfleet All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WAINFLEET ALL SAINTS STATION ROAD
TF 45 NE
6/86 Church of
Parish church. 1821, by R. H. Sharpe and P. Atkinson, re-using
some medieval fragments; 1887, C20. In Perpendicular style.
Stock brick with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof with
overhanging eaves, west parapet with flanking ashlar ornate
pinnacles and cross finial at apex, east parapet with small
foliate motifs at each side. Rectangular tile hung west bellcote
with paired, louvred openings on each side, projecting eaves, a
pyramidal lead roof with crockets and lozenge patterns and a
single tier of hipped lucarnes. Nave with narthex and west
bellcote, chancel with north organ chamber. Plinth, string
courses and regularly placed buttress round entire church. West
front with central doorway with pointed head, broad chamfered
continuous surround, rectangular hood mould and double plank
doors. Large pointed wndow above with 5 pointed, cusped lights,
panel tracery, hood mould and angel label stops. Window flanked
by single Perpendicular niches, possibly re-using medieval
fabric. North side with 3 pointed windows each with 3 pointed,
cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops.
Gabled organ chamber added in 1887 with corbelled eaves and steps
leading up to the west doorway with pointed head, continuous
chamfered surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank door.
Pointed north window with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel
tracery, hood mould and head label stops. C15 ashlar quatrefoil
re-set below. Chancel of 1887 with pointed north window with 2
cusped pointed lights, hood mould and head label stops. East end
with large pointed window with 4 cusped ogee headed lights, hood
mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with 2 pointed
windows each with 2 cusped, pointed lights, hood moulds and head
label stops. Lean-to coal hole against the east side of nave.
Tall octagonal chimney above. South side of nave identical to
north side. Interior narthex divided from nave by C20 panelled
screen with double glazed doors. Very tall pointed chancel arch
with continuously moulded outer order and inner order with
moulded head and semi-circular responds with moulded capitals,
hood mould and head label stops. Pointed opening to north with
double chamfered head containing organ pipes. Chancel with north
opening with pointed double chamfered head containing organ
pipes. Nave with flat panelled ceiling. Chancel with panelled
wagon roof supported on stone corbels. Piscina in south chancel
with flattened pointed head, inner cusping and hood mould. C19
altar rail, ornate reredos, pulpit, pews and choir stalls. C15
octagonal font with emblems of the Passion and traceried panels;
and heads and stylised flowerhead motifs in octagonal pedestal.
Grey and white marble monument to Robert Chomeley, died 1852.
Source: A. Mee. Lincolnshire. London, 1949. p.402.
Listing NGR: TF4971258689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings