History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salem Bridge Windmill with Attached Mill Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Wainfleet All Saints, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.104 / 53°6'14"N

Longitude: 0.2323 / 0°13'56"E

OS Eastings: 549540

OS Northings: 358637

OS Grid: TF495586

Mapcode National: GBR LXX.KJJ

Mapcode Global: WHJMD.J7TR

Plus Code: 9F52463J+HW

Entry Name: Salem Bridge Windmill with Attached Mill Building

Listing Date: 17 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420243

Location: Wainfleet All Saints, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE24

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Wainfleet All Saints

Built-Up Area: Wainfleet All Saints

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Wainfleet All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wainfleet All Saints


TF 45 NE
(south-west side)
6/80 Salem Bridge wind-
mill with attached
mill building


Towermill with attached small warehouse, now used by Bateman's
Brewery. c.1820, C20. Red brick, some colourwashed render.
Slate roof on attached warehouse. 6 storey tower mill to east
with moulded eaves with chevroned band, battlements above
containing small rectangular openings. Doorway inside C20
extension on north side, with 3 windows, one above the other,
above. South side with 6 windows one above the other. West side
with single window, and east side with 3 windows one above the
other. All the windows with small fixed glazing bars with
segmental heads. 2 storey, 3 bay warehouse attached to west with
rendered ground floor. Central doorway with partially glazed
door. Doorway flanked by single glazing bar sashes with 3
glazing bar sashes above. All the openings with segmental heads.
No milling machinery survives internally. Built by Oxley's of
Alford, to a similar design to Alford Mill. Now Lincolnshire's
last independant brewery, established in 1874 by George Bateman
and still operated by the same family. Source: Dolman, p.27.

Listing NGR: TF4954058637

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.