This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3561 / 51°21'22"N
Longitude: 1.244 / 1°14'38"E
OS Eastings: 625958
OS Northings: 166890
OS Grid: TR259668
Mapcode National: GBR VYN.WWX
Mapcode Global: VHLGB.J50Q
Entry Name: Saint Nicholas Court
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420947
Location: St. Nicholas At Wade, Thanet, Kent, CT7
Civil Parish: St. Nicholas at Wade
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
ST NICHOLAS AT WADE COURT ROAD
TR 26 NE
1/81 St Nicholas Court
House. C14 crypt, C16 house altered early and late C18 and early C19.
Timber framed, rendered, extended in painted brick. Plain tiled
roof. L-shaped plan. Two storeys with rusticated quoins and paired
modillion eaves to moulded wooden parapet with rendered early C18
shaped gable at end right. Hipped projecting wing to left. Stacks to
end right, centre left and front left. Five glazing bar sashes on first
floor and 2 tripartite glazing bar sashes on ground floor, with 1 glazing
bar sash over 1 tripartite sash to left wing. Central door of 6 raised
and fielded panels in moulded surround, with elliptical canopy over.
Interior: frame visible with chamfered and stopped beams. Coved over-
mantel to inglenook. Clasped purlin roof. Moulded doorways, doors with
H and L hinges, elliptical arched passage-doorways, fitted cupboards
and kitchen shelving and several marble fireplaces all early C19 or late
C18. Early C19 room with elliptical screen and 2 recessed Gothick margin-
light windows. Moulded plaster cornice to stair halls including hop
motif. In addition to cellars below the house, a vaulted brick passage
leads from below the house to the north, down flight of steps, to under-
ground C14 chamber, constructed of tooled chalk blocks (as is the end of
the passage). Cruciform plan, with central quadripartite rib-vaulted
ceiling, chamfered string course, ogee-cusped recesses in end walls of
2 wings,the other end wall rebuilt in brick with brick elliptically
headed recesses in wall. Probably the crypt to a demolished chapel.
(Petronella, widow of John of St Nicholas given licence to hear mass at
her house, 1327). (See BOE Kent II, 1983, 439; see also Igglesden,
Listing NGR: TR2595866890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings