This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9142 / 53°54'51"N
Longitude: -1.9383 / 1°56'17"W
OS Eastings: 404152
OS Northings: 446451
OS Grid: SE041464
Mapcode National: GBR GRX5.5M
Mapcode Global: WHB7H.6W85
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 25 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418945
Location: Silsden, Bradford, BD20
Civil Parish: Silsden
Built-Up Area: Silsden
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Silsden St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE0446 SILSDEN C.P. KIRKGATE
9/159 Church of St. James
Church. c 1816, tower raised 1896 by George Jacques. Hammer-
dressed stone, ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof, tile ridge, lead
spire. Nave, south porch, shallow chancel and slender west tower.
Simple Gothic Revival style. 3-stage tower; 1st stage has doorway
with monolithic jambs approached up flight of stone steps and single
chamfered light over with hood mould. West face has 2-light cusped
window. 2nd stage has similar 2-light belfry with iron-grille.
3rd stage has clock set in each face and shaped parapet surmounted
by needle spirelet with weather-vane. Nave has 3 bays of 2-light
arched windows, coped gables with kneelers. Gabled porch to left
has 2-centred arched doorway with colonnettes and hoodmould. Chancel,
under lower roof-line and set back, has chamfered plinth and east
window of 4-lights with quatrefoils.
Interior: single vessel with west organ gallery carried on Doric
columns. 8-bay nave with arch-braced king-post roof with turned
king posts. Stained glass windows. Pine pews. The church
originally built 1712, is as it was altered in 1816.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1979) p. 484.
Listing NGR: SE0415246451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings