History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Callow Croft

A Grade II Listed Building in Wellington Heath, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0608 / 52°3'39"N

Longitude: -2.4263 / 2°25'34"W

OS Eastings: 370868

OS Northings: 240358

OS Grid: SO708403

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.D6RR

Mapcode Global: VH85T.WGNJ

Entry Name: Callow Croft

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224891

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152527

Location: Wellington Heath, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Wellington Heath

Built-Up Area: Wellington Heath

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wellington Heath

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ledbury

Listing Text

WELLINGTON HEATH CP LEDBURY ROAD
SO 74 SW (off east side)

2/100 Callow Croft

18 11 52

- II

House. Late C16, altered and extended mid-C17. Timber-frame on a rubble base,
painted brick and rendered infil, plain tiled roof and large rubble stack in angle at
rear. Irregular L-plan with the Cl7 addition at the rear forming a broad T-plan.
Built into the hillside and thus single storey and attics at the rear rising to 2
storeys and attics at the front. Single, tall 3-light cross-windows to left of front
elevation and 2-light casements to the right in the full height, projecting stair-
tower. At the base of the tower is a projecting porch and a panelled door in an
ovolo moulded surround and under a 2-light transom light. Single storey C20 extension
at left of porch. North (left side) elevation also has tall cross windows to the hall.
South (right) elevation of 2 gables and three C20 leaded light windows. A later porch
fills the angle at the rear: plank door in moulded surround and under a flat hood on
carved brackets. Some moulded bargeboards. Interior: Ground floor kitchen has ovolo
and hollow moulded beams with converging stops. Circa 1700 dog-leg staircase with
twisted balusters, a moulded handrail and panelled t1ndiritai'Bs clipboard door bound
by iron strap hinges. First floor, formerly a large hall, now subdivided: ovolo and
hollow moulded beams supported on moulded jowl posts; the right room has a restored
stone fireplacein a moulded surround and with a 4-centred head. Rear parlour: ovolo
moulded beams and brick fireplace. (RHCM, Vol 1932).


Listing NGR: SO7086840358

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.