This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5198 / 51°31'11"N
Longitude: -0.1619 / 0°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 527626
OS Northings: 181703
OS Grid: TQ276817
Mapcode National: GBR 79.TC
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.42R7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207691
Location: Westminster, London, W1H
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Bryanston and Dorset Square
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Bryanston Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2781 NE
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
WYNDHAM PLACE, W1
Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1821-23 Commissioners church by Sir Robert Smirke, some internal remodelling 1874 by Sir A.W. Blomfield. Stock brick and Bath or Chilmark stone.
Rectangular plan with axial south tower and portico. Greek Revival details coentrated on portico and tower. Two storeys. Nine-bay sides. Five bay east and west ends. The tower and portico bowed out of three centre bays of south side. Architraved flanking doorways in portico and pilaster strip corniced doorway at foot of tower to centre with flush panelled door in pilaster reveals. The sides have square architraved lower level windows and tall semicircular arched upper level windows rising from sill band, recessed for one order and lined out in stone with simple archivolts linked by impost string. Similar but narrower windows to second level of tower within portico. Tripartite pedimented east window.
West front has five bays with three-bay slightly advanced pedimented centre; architraved central doorway with cornice on console; similar fenestration. Plinth and crowning cornice with blocking course. The bowed ashlar south portico has a giant order of unfluted Ionic columns, deep entablature and parapet with blind panels of vertical loop pattern. The rather attenuated circular tower rises in three stages from plain drum base, the main stage with engaged order of fluted columns with Graeco-Egyptian capitals carrying deep entablature with acroteria to blocking course and wreathed clock in drum base to crowning arcaded cupola with stone dome and cross finial.
Interior has simple shallow segmental vault carried on the columns of the gallery, the nave level gallery supports modified by Blomfield.
Listing NGR: TQ2762681706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings