This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2701 / 51°16'12"N
Longitude: 0.5217 / 0°31'18"E
OS Eastings: 576009
OS Northings: 155346
OS Grid: TQ760553
Mapcode National: GBR PR7.6QL
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.0B5P
Plus Code: 9F327GCC+2M
Entry Name: The Masters House
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173442
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017
TQ 7655 SW
The Masters House
(Formerly listed as The College, MILL STREET)
This was originally the Master's House to the College. C14 with alterations in C18 and the insertion of modern windows since. Built of Kentish ragstone. Two storeys and attics. Tiled roof with three hipped dormers having casements with small square leaded panes. Moulded wooden eaves cornice and at the south end of the front a gable. On the ground floor there are two windows containing pairs of ogee-headed lights, two narrower single trefoil-headed lancets and one square-headed window containing two obtusely-pointed lights. Modern windows on the first floor.
The interior contains a collar-braced roof, a C16 oak staircase, a mouldedC16 ceiling and Aumbry cupboard. Some stone fireplaces with spandrels and an early C18 fireplace with ovolo moulding. Plaque to William Grocyn (1446-1519) Master of All Saints College and Renaissance scholar.
Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Masters House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7600955346
Other nearby listed buildings