History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colton, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2822 / 54°16'55"N

Longitude: -2.9709 / 2°58'15"W

OS Eastings: 336883

OS Northings: 487826

OS Grid: SD368878

Mapcode National: GBR 7LPX.LQ

Mapcode Global: WH82Z.BMJL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 23 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421439

Location: Colton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Colton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Finsthwaite St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Rusland

Listing Text

COLTON FINSTHWAITE
SD 38 NE
7/40
Church of St Peter

II*

Church. 1873-9. Paley and Austin. Coursed stone rubble with sandstone
dressings, slate roof with tile ridge. Nave and chancel with tower between,
north organ loft under catslide roof with adjoining lean-to vestry. Coped
gables. 4-bay nave has round-headed windows; north gabled porch, part enclosed,
part open, timber-framed on low stone walls, round-headed entrance of one order
with moulded arch; corresponding bay to south is blind. West end has 2 windows
on weathered sill band, with continuous hoodmould; 2 lead dampcourses and top
lancet. Tower has deep weathered buttresses to north and south, with weathered
projections between, that to south has round-headed lancet, with smaller lancet
above; vestry has 2 windows, round stair window above, and diamond clock face to
top; high pyramidal roof has north and south raking louvred dormers, east and
west hipped stone dormers with round-headed louvred bell openings with zig-zag
mouldings to arch; top weather-fish. Chancel has weathered sill band, 2 windows
to north and one to south, east end has 3 windows, the central one wider, under
continuous hoodmould; flushwork cross below sill; 2 lead dampcourses and lancet
above, and gable cross. Organ loft has segmental-headed entrance and one
window, lean-to outbuilding to east. Interior: Single rafter roofs with braced
collars and ashlaring. 2 arches to tower are stepped, the inner part corbelled,
blind arches to north and south of tower space and rib vaulted ceiling, painted
scrollwork and angels bearing the Beatitudes. Nave has stencilled frieze and
window arches, part of scheme most of which is whitewashed; 3 pendant light
fittings with wrought iron decoration, one more elaborate to tower space.
Chancel has good simple stalls, organ case and altar rail. Reredos by Salviati
has mosaic panels, 1883, painted angels over east windows. Good stained glass
to chancel possibly by Powell, and to west end. Good wall tablets: Edward
Taylor, died 1790, James King, 1827, Margaret Taylor, 1820, and George
Braithwaite, 1814, the last 3 by Webster of Kendal.


Listing NGR: SD3688387826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.