History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Library House

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cliffe, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5622 / 52°33'43"N

Longitude: -0.5115 / 0°30'41"W

OS Eastings: 501000

OS Northings: 297083

OS Grid: TL010970

Mapcode National: GBR FWW.9J7

Mapcode Global: WHGM9.3VQM

Entry Name: The Library House

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 12 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421718

Location: King's Cliffe, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: King's Cliffe

Built-Up Area: King's Cliffe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: King's Cliffe All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Collyweston

Listing Text

KINGS CLIFFE BRIDGE STREET
TL0197, TL0197 (North side)
13/94, 13/94 No.25 (The Library House)
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as The
Library House)
GV II
House. Early/mid and late C17. Converted to Schoolhouse 1749 for Elizabeth
Hutcheson's School and adapted to house and library in 1752 for William Law.
Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Originally 2-unit plan. 2
storeys with attic. 3-window range with flanking 3-light ovolo-moulded stone
mullion windows, with hood moulds to ground floor windows. Smaller 2-light
window, to first floor centre, and single-light windows to ground and first
floor, far right. All windows have leaded lights. Central, 6-panel, part-glazed,
door has moulded stone surround. Pair of gabled roof dormers with leaded
casements. Ashlar gable parapets and ashlar end stacks. Inscription immediately
above door, "Books of Piety are lent to any person of this or ye Neighbouring
Towns". Sundial, with pediment, above inscription. Interior not inspected, but
room to left of entrance noted as having bolection-moulded panelling with wooden
cornice. This early C18 panelling was adapted in 1752 to incorporate bookcases
for William Law's library. Room to right of entrance noted as having bolection
moulded cupboard doors. Staircase has wave moulded splat balusters. Roof
structure has cambered collars and clasped purlins. Originally single storey
with cross-wing; the building was raised late C17
(RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p98;
Waller, A.K.: William Law, His Life and Thoughts (1973); Law, W.: Hutcheson, E.
A short account of the two Charitable Foundations at Kings Cliffe (1755))


Listing NGR: TL0100097082

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.