This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4985 / 51°29'54"N
Longitude: -0.1264 / 0°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 530148
OS Northings: 179387
OS Grid: TQ301793
Mapcode National: GBR HK.S0
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RLJN
Entry Name: The Jewel House (Or Tower) of the Palace of Westminster
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421946
Location: Westminster, London, SW1P
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Matthew Westminster
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3079 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER OLD PALACE YARD, SW1
101/11 (south side)
The Jewel House (or Tower)
5.2.70 of the Palace of Westminster
Royal Treasure House or repository forming the south west corner of the
former Privy Palace. 1364-66, by Henry Yevele, with windows and parapet
renewed 1718-19. Principally stone rubble with Portland stone dressed
windows. L plan tower, with north polygonal stair turret. 3 storeys.
Entrance in re-entrant angle. Round arched windows in the Hugh May
(Windsor) or Vanbrugh manner. Interior has tierceron vaults in basement
similar to those of the former Cellarer's Building No. 20 Dean's Yard,
Broad Sanctuary, q.v. 1st floor has C.17 brick vaulted strong room with
iron door dated 1621.
History of the King's Works; Howard Colvin ed.
Archaeological Journal, 1964
Listing NGR: TQ3014879387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings