History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Holwell, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7804 / 51°46'49"N

Longitude: -1.665 / 1°39'54"W

OS Eastings: 423206

OS Northings: 209136

OS Grid: SP232091

Mapcode National: GBR 5T6.CW3

Mapcode Global: VHBZZ.3H4Z

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422188

Location: Holwell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Holwell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Holwell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

HOLWELL
SP20NW Church of St Mary
3/261

GV II


Parish church. The present church was rebuilt in 1895 by W.E. Mills of
Banbury. Coursed rubble, concrete tile roof. The curvilinear style of
c.1500, French in inspiration as well as English. 3-bay nave with
octagonal stone bellcote to west and south porch; 2-bay chancel with south
transept and matching organ Chamber/vestry to north. Moulded eaves
cornice, impost and cill bands. Nave windows stilted with curvilinear
tracery, also the east window and the south chapel window. The east and
south gables have blind tracery ashlar panels, porch has traceried side
lights. The west end has 2 stepped buttresses for the bellcote framing a
transomed curvilinear window with an embattled cill above a thickening for
the baptistery recess. Interior complete (bar the polychromy) and more
attractive than the exterior. Tiled alleys, oak pews, moulded chancel and
north and south arches, altar has riddell posts capped by angels, there is
even a piscina. Arch-braced roof to nave, boarded ceiling to chancel and
transepts, pulpit i corporates Flemish C17 carved panels. Glass in east
window by H W Bryans. The small C13 church shown by Bucklet as a plain 2-
cell church in 1825, was rebuilt in 1842 in the Italianate style with a
delightful campanile, see drawing inside the church.


Listing NGR: SP2320609136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.