This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5107 / 51°30'38"N
Longitude: -0.1566 / 0°9'23"W
OS Eastings: 528021
OS Northings: 180698
OS Grid: TQ280806
Mapcode National: GBR 9D.0M
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.79L7
Entry Name: Dudley House
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226028
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423105
Location: Westminster, London, W1K
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2880 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PARK LANE, Wl
68/42 (east side)
No. 100 (Dudley
Town mansion. Rebuild of 1827-28, possibly incorporating part of C.18
house, by William Atkinson for the 1st Earl of Derby, internal
alterations by S.W. Daukes for Lord Ward in 1855 (c.f. Witley Court);
major renovation/refurbishment by Sir Basil Spence and Anthony Blee
1969-70. Stuccoed with slate roof. A restrained Grecian design. 3
storeys, basement and dormered attic. 9 windows wide Park Lane front
with shallow 3 window centre break and 7 bay long asymmetrical return
to Culross Street. The ground floor to front is screened by a
projecting stone colonnade of coupled Ionic columns advanced to centre
to form tetrastyle portico in front of entrance lobby. The colonnade
supports a conservatory-verandah-balcony with decorative ironwork
standards and spandrels, across full width of 1st floor (possibly a
c.1855 Daukes addition). 2nd floor sash window in shallow architrave
surrounds. 1st and 2nd floor sill bands; cornice and balustraded
parapet, solid over centre break where it bears the Dudley arms.
Similar details to return with pedimented rectangular stucco bay to
1st floor left and 3-window break to right. Spear head area railings.
The interior retains 4 good gilded plasterwork ceilings in the
Graeco-Roman taste of the 1820s (one covered up on 1st floor) and
several fine chimney pieces, some C.18 and reset. The main staircase
compartment and entrance hall would appear to have been redecorated in
keeping with the opulent "Louis XVI" of Dauke's destroyed ballroom and
picture gallery, though the ironwork stair balustrade is probably
Atkinson's. Fine C.18 wrought iron stair balustrade to rear may be
retained from the C.18 house; new classical upper hall by Spence.
Dudley House is the only early Park Lane mansion to have survived.
Survey of London; Vol. XL.
Listing NGR: TQ2802180698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings